Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MD/VA/DC killer investigation

ErikW

http://www.washingtontimes.com/metro/20021017-11505454.htm

Meanwhile, the hunt for the sniper continued as investigators cast a net over the region's gun community, confiscating sign-in logs from shooting ranges, tracking sales of .223-caliber weapons and knocking on gun owners' doors.

Some gun owners reported that agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms have visited numerous gun shops to review sales records and federal 4473 forms that list buyer information for every firearms sale. In some cases, the investigators made copies of documents, gun shop owners and employees said.

Authorities declined to comment on the probe of gun dealers and gun owners. An FBI spokesman for the task force searching for the sniper said investigators were using every strategy to catch the killer and countless interviews were being conducted.

At Montgomery County police headquarters in Rockville, Capt. Demme said one witness to Monday's shooting told police he was certain he saw the sniper fire an AK-74 rifle.

Police said the weapon can fire the .223-caliber round that has been the sniper's bullet of choice. The sniper could be using a variety of high-powered rifles, including an AK-15, a Ruger Mini-14 or a Steyr semiautomatic, some firearms experts have said.

The irony of it all is that I saw an LEO spokesperson on McNeill/Leher (PBS) last night make a somewhat pro-gun statement to the press: "do not focus on one particular type of firearm..."  I'm sure the rest of the media deliberately omitted that message from their reports.

E

Oh, and I love the little piece they did at Gunsite.  "How can people off the street get this kind of training?!?!?!?!" Uhhhhh, better look at our military, CMP, Olympic teams.  Hell, the Boy Scouts have a Merit badge in marksmanship.  

Its not the gun or guns.  Its the person or person(s). Period.

Interesting how they focused on semiautos. And I love how they consistently report .223 as a high-power(ed) rifle/round. And that 50-150 yards is long range.

But my big beef was confiscating sign-in sheets from ranges. And the de-facto registration of 4473s and dealer sales records. If you listen closely for the NRA, you can hear crickets chirping. At the least the ACLU is concerned about the military surveillance.