Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I set a new record

Jon Merricks

I shot the Georgia Sectional Championship this weekend and set a personal record.  80 points in penalties.  I've been shooting in this sport for about 6 months now and thought I have seen the worst in me.  Guess not.  I went to this match to at least win my class and really dumb mistakes pushed me down to 4th.  I only shot 1 maybe 2 stages of what I am capable of doing.  Need to go back and reread 3qtr's post about his big match once a month before Area 6 in May.  

I tanked my first big one this year, ALL due to a bad mindset, and dwelling on misfortune.

When you set out to WIN, you may have doomed yourself.

Maybe should set out to shoot your best (just shoot), and let someone else keep score.

Flex always tells me that if I just shoot clean (no penalties) I'll do fine, and he's right.

"I'm fast enough, I'm accurate enough, and dog-gone-it, I know how to shoot" is a good self-affirmation before a match, and tends to quiet the demons. It also meks me grin, and that relaxes me.

(I sometimes get a Bill Seevers demon on my shoulder that tells me to shoot faster than I can, my benos angel smacks him around )

SA

Jon, the exact same thing happened to me at the MI State Match. I had 80 points in penalties just as you did. I still won Production because of a lack of competition. At Ohio right after that, I shot a bit smarter than at MI and didn't have any penalty points. As they say, it's not always the best shooter who wins, but the one who makes the least mistakes.

Jake

(Edited by TheItlianStalion at 11:59 am on Oct. 21, 2002)

Big matches are way too much fun.  Not only do you get to meet some great shooters,  you get to see how you perform after intense preparation.  I watched Uncle Bill prepare for the Tri-State and was impressed with his calmness before the start.  He tanked a couple of stages but won his class.  I felt like I was as ready for my turn as I could have been but when the buzzer stopped for the day I looked back and found several silly mistakes I didn't think I would make.  I shot 7 up to or better than my skill and 4 worse than I should have.  In retrospect I think I want to look at it like Bill did.  Just another match,  I'll do better next time.  

Flex always tells me that if I just shoot clean (no penalties) I'll do fine, and he's right.

I feel that you have to trust your preparation.  My best match shooting is when I mentally turn it down a notch.  Match nerves will more than provide enough speed.

Let it hang on the edge in practice if you like...but throttle down a bit in the match.

Oh...and I think Duane posted about TJ having the same trouble on the first day or two shooting Production at the Nationals...we all are in good company.

TRUST.

I guess this was just one test of many.  I'm not used to shooting such technical stages.  Prepping on how to shoot the stage seemed to be what drew my mind from the main goal. Getting the hit.  Most of the stages could be shot in so many different ways it seemed a little mind-boggling.  Changing my plan right before the LAMR hurt me on the last stage as well.  Or is all this an excuse for not doing what I supposed to do to Get the Hit.

Jon,

Traveling to different matches can be an eye-opener.  You get to see stuff that you may not be used to...

Like GhostDog talks about...Ignore the distractions and get to the shooting.

Figuring out the stages is certainly a big part of this game.  (I hate it when I go to the line without a firm plan.)

I think big matches are where the big dogs run and play. If you want to learn how good you are step off the porch or local club as you might say

When I miss or screw up its usually from lack of attention. I also try to push the envelope and shoot at 9/10's in racers parlance. After bit,you are shooting the gun as fast as it can be shot and there are only 2 ways to shoot with and beat the bigger dogs. Faster to/out of shooting positions and shooting more on the move. Pushing this envelope causes you to miss more and score less at first. If we don't try to run a 3 minute mile how are we every going to run a 3 minute mile?

I shot SV Infinity match very conservative except for stage 1. Open targets at 5 yards says open it up. Had a miss on it and all others were clean. Looking at the winning HF's on the stages I think maybe I should have shot this match like the Nationals. Wide Open. They were high in general so it was speed biased. But I had a plan and I stuck to it. "What if, could have, should have, you can never know??" I have won my class shooting both ways mmmm??

Figuring out a stage is important and can only be accomplished by knowing what you can do. Example splits, breaks, running speed, draw speed and reload speed, ability to hit a A are factored in to figure if "left reload right" is better than "right shoot them all".

Steve, yea well I can shoot faster than that angel can and its wearing a dress ( not you BE)

P.S.     Relax.           Its the most wisdom, next to get your hits, I can give to anyone about a big match or any match performance.

Of course I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

(Edited by BSeevers at 2:15 pm on Oct. 22, 2002)