Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seating/Crimping Die

I am looking to free up a station in my Super 1050 and I am wondering if anyone knows of a quality crimping/seating combination die. I would like to add a bullet feeder die without having to get rid of my powder check station. Any ideas?

What I am trying to do is add a bullet feeder to my super 1050 press. All the research and videos I have seen, they take out the powder check and use that station for the bullet feeder die. I want to keep my powder check station and I want to take out my seating die and use that station for the bullet feeder. If I do that, that means on the last station, the crimping station, I will need to take out the crimping die and put in a die that will seat and crimp the bullet simultaneously. I am wondering first, if this idea will work because I am new to reloading. Second, if anyone knows of a quality die that will seat and crimp. And last, if there is a better way to accomplish what I am trying to do.

I was in the same boat you are when I purchased my first 1050. I settled with removing the powder check station and added the bullet feeder.

I simply watch each case come through and visually check the powder. It is very painless....and I swear it helps with shooting as my eyes get use to darting back and forth.

Steve

I have the same challenge and just ordered the RCBS seater/taper crimp die as I want to keep the powder check intact. I have received the dies but have not yet had the time to install and try it out - plus I still have a couple months wait before my new Mr. Bulletfeeder will be ready. In any event, the RCBS die is about $30 so no biggie if it does not work out.

I have a set of 3 RCBS dies in 40S&W that I have not used yet. I was looking at them and noticed that one is a seat/tapper crimp die. That is what gave me the idea to combine the stations. I am just wondering if anyone else is doing the same, and if so how well it works. My understanding is RCBS is supposed to be one of the better die making companies.

I find it much easier to dial in a good crimp with a separate crimp die. I have a 550B and gave up the idea of a bullet feeder system as I didn't wish to combine the seating and crimp. IMO a good crimp=good accuracy, a bad crimp=bad accuracy. YMMV.

if anyone knows of a quality crimping/seating combination die

They are all same, and I tried every brand out there. When you seat and crimp together, you will get variations in COL, neck tension and shape of crimp.

Crimping and seating separately produces better results, and that's why Dillons have the extra stations.

I use a GSI bullet feeder, and don't have to sacrifice the powder check.

Edited by Linear Thinker