Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75B Kadet .22 Adapter For Practice?

Pensfan

Hey everyone!

I just joined USPSA today and should have my member number on Thursday. I will be shooting my first real USPSA event on Saturday with six qualifiers, and possibly shooting an event on Sunday with five stages plus one qualifier. After this weekend I should know where I stand.

I will be shooting a CZ75B 9mm in Production Division and am gunning for an A Classification by the end of this season. I know that is ambitious, but I like a challenge. In order to get that A Classification, I need practice... a lot of practice. As I am not sponsored nor independently wealthy yet, and I am not reloading likely until later this summer, ammo is expensive and going to be my most limiting factor.

Combined with daily dry fire drills, daily target tracking/transition drills, and limited live 9mm ammo drills twice a week, is it a good option to add a Kadet .22 adapter to my CZ so I can shoot more live ammo for practice? What should a practice session look like with .22 vs 9mm? What pitfalls should I look out for when practicing with .22 vs 9mm?

Thanks everyone!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to get a Kadet conversion slide for my 75B SAO for the very reasons you are asking about. I have a P226 SIG with a 22 conversion slide and have shot it much more than the 9mm. I always warm up with up to 100 rounds of 22 before switching over to 9mm.

I have had two shoulder surgeries in the last year. Each time one arm was in a sling for 6 weeks, first the left, then the right. I shot the 22 3x more than the 9 because the slide was easier to rack and arm strength was low. Shooting the 22 allowed me to refine my weak hand and weak hand only shooting as well as get my trigger finger back in to shape right after getting the arm out of the sling.

After recovering from surgery, I still use the 22 for group shooting. The way I compensate is to use smaller targets. 3" squares or small plates at 25 yards or larger plates at 50 yards. I don't do many speed drills with the 22 because the SIG version is not very reliable. I've read really good reviews of the CZ Kadet and the conversion, so I think one could even do speed drills with a 22, again, using smaller targets and not doubles.

I paid for my SIG 22 conversion in less than 2 months. I'll get one for the CZ this month, if I can find one.

Joe

I bought one over the weekend an d it should be here on Wednesday. Since this post I have been practicing with my wife's Ruger MKIII and it has helped tremendously. I am seeing the sights lift clearer and indexing much faster since practicing with the 22.

Once the Kadet arrives, I am hoping to see the progression continue to improve as I will be using my actual CZ with the same weight, trigger, grip, etc.

I bought one over the weekend an d it should be here on Wednesday. Since this post I have been practicing with my wife's Ruger MKIII and it has helped tremendously. I am seeing the sights lift clearer and indexing much faster since practicing with the 22.

Once the Kadet arrives, I am hoping to see the progression continue to improve as I will be using my actual CZ with the same weight, trigger, grip, etc.

Cool. We can compare notes. Mine should be here this week. I really, really like shooting the 22 as an alternative to the 9 when doing everything except recoil control practice.

I did a lot of 50 yard groups with the SIG 22 and it was very good practice.

Joe

I got mine on Tuesday, fitted it to my CZ75B frame Tuesday night, took it to the range today at noon and put 100 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags through it.

You are going to love this conversion. It is top quality, fits perfectly, functions perfectly, and is extremely accurate since the barrel and sights are fixed together. No problems at all.

Joe

Lunch range session was so good that I went back after work for another 100 rounds. Excellent, just excellent. I put the stock hammer spring back in before the first range trip and the trigger pull was a little heavier than normal as a result. I was still able to put 10 rounds out of 10 through a 3x5 card at 25 yards in windy conditions. For me, with a new setup, that is fantastic.

i-vkpQvZz-M.jpg

200 rounds today without a malfunction and with excellent accuracy. I like this conversion. Makes my SIG 22 conversion look like a toy.

Joe

Wow, great shooting there Joe!

I received mine today, but my wife and I just got back from the Blues vs Red Wings game... dang Blues lost in a shoot out... haha. I will hit the range on Friday with mine and will post up some pics and reviews then. Glad to hear yours is working great brother.

Pensfan, I went to the range today and ran the Kadet conversion with a 15 lb hammer spring in the CZ75 along with a DA/SA trigger. Had maybe 3 light strikes out of 100 rounds, so I will try a 17 lb spring next, which is what Stuart (EERW) said he needed for 100% with the 22 slide. I can live with an occasional misfire to avoid changing springs, but I can also live with a 17 instead of a 15 if I need to.

Today continued with the Winchester M-22 ammo, no problems. This conversion is super. I can actually TRAIN with it!

Joe

I was able to shoot mine on Friday... about 30% light strikes on Federal Champion Bulk 525 ammo. I am running the CGW Ultra-Lite Double Action Kit on my 75B so I am sure the springs need to be switched for proper use... the only problem is that I have no idea WHICH spring to change. haha

Pensfan, only change the hammer spring and put the stock 20 lb one back in when using the 22. The CGW 8.5 and 11.5 hammer springs are too light for the 22. Even a 15 lb hammer spring will result in 1-2% light strikes. Stuart says a 17 will be OK with the 22 and I have one coming, but its not here yet.

I ran another 250 rounds through mine this morning, absolutely no problems at all, using the stock main (hammer)spring.

Joe

Edited by Joe L

Thanks Joe! I am hitting the range tomorrow (first time with the spring change) and will test it out. I plan on practicing around 250 rounds with the .22, and another 150-200rds with USPSA loads for my event this weekend.

:)