Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP01 Shadow on a diet

steel1212

I'm gonna try to get my SP01 Shadow down to 39oz for IDPA. Hopefully IDPA's Tiger team will make Shadows legal with out doing this but I want to see what I can do.

The gun I'm working with:

SP01 Shadow, with Fixed sights

What is currently on it:

Thin aluminum grips

Plastic guide rod

SP01 magazine

Current weight is: 40.8 oz

Next things I'm gonna try is Plastic grips and a 10 round mag and see what that gets me.

post-8418-0-04459700-1332253900_thumb.jp

The other safeties will get you some savings as wekk I'd imagine. (other than the ones in the pic)

I'm gonna try a set of sp01 safeties as well. I would live the thin ones but they are out of stock. I might just put in a back order for some.

I haven't verified these numbers, but these are notes I took a few months ago when I was considering doing the same. I decided I'd just get a 75 Shadow instead, as I didn't want to mess around this much. I kept the notes though, hope it helps.

Remove material from the backside of the grips. You can get 3/4 oz out of the thin AL grips if you have a friend with a mill.

The fixed rear site can be drilled (left to right) as well, but that's only worth 1/10 oz.

The magazine guide can be narrowed, I think that's another 1/10 oz.

The plastic guiderod is 1/2 oz lighter than the steel OEM one.

The 10 round mags are 1/2 oz lighter than the CZ 16 round mags.

Buying a Phantom instead would save a ton a weight. Besides the preference for steel (and the joy of seeing if you can improve upon your platform) is there a reason to not consider the switch?

The phantom's trigger isnt even close to the same ballpark. The 75 Shadow is a much better choice than the Phantom.

I went 75 Shadow, if I could get a SP-01 Shadow down to 39 oz's and keep my AL grips and 16rd mags I would have stayed with the SP-01.. but I don't think its possible.

Yeah, you can mill out under the rear sight, and inside the dustcover.. but not exactly legal.. :roflol:

So on my scale here is what I came up with YMMV.

IF I replace the grips with plastic. Replace the safeties and mag release with SP01 ones. Use 10 round mags I would be at 39.05oz or there abouts. If I could get the thin safeties it would be golden I think. On the other hand I just neutered my SP01 :roflol:

I think I'll ended up looking for a 75 shadow.....

one of the extreme measures for a little more breathing room once you make weight....

The mag brake is retained by a solid pin, replace with an outer "B" firing pin block roll pin... the metal spring bases inside mag can have 2 big holes put in them, the smaller SP-01 safeties can be hollowed out a bit,too.....

but you really need a set of these....

light weight grips

So on my scale here is what I came up with YMMV.

IF I replace the grips with plastic. Replace the safeties and mag release with SP01 ones. Use 10 round mags I would be at 39.05oz or there abouts. If I could get the thin safeties it would be golden I think. On the other hand I just neutered my SP01 :roflol:

I think I'll ended up looking for a 75 shadow.....

It turns out I'm not shooting as much (read: any) IDPA as I thought I would, but the above was kind of my thought process as well. I snagged a 75 Shadow about a year ago and have been very satisfied with the choice. I don't know that I'd be shooting any better in USPSA, 3 gun, or Steel Challenge with an SP-01.

I got my SP-01 to weight but had to use Marschal grips(lite),small right side safety the lighter mag break and plastic gude rod, 10 round mags 38.9 oz. but be prepared to weigh and quote the rule book for IDPA page 21 next to last paragraph"Pistols approved for ssp may also be used in esp,even if the pistol in question has a FULL-LENGHT dust cover" this can be your friend.

I now have a 75 Shadow and it is a good gun it's not the finish quality of and sp-01 but I do think it maybe quicker for me. Just seams to be quicker out of the holster and transition's very well"only had it a few weeks". I was worried about not having the weight out front for recoil but it just has not made a difference, my splits are the same or better. Overall I'm very happy with the 75 Shadow, thanks to the guys at the custom shop "Rob" for getting me what I wanted.

• 2 weeks later...