3GunF1Guy

Here is an example:

Win AA hull 2 3/4"

1 1/2 oz shot

WAA12R Wad

Win 209 Primer

26.4 gr Longshot Powder

= 1205 FPS

Now lets say I want to load some #00 buckshot can I use the same data but just substitute the 1 1/2 oz of #8 shot for 12 00 Buckshot (BTW 12 #00 weigh 1 1/2oz). If this was a Rifle or a Pistol I could always work a load "up" and look for pressure signs. But on a shotgun how do you know if it is going to blow up until it does? Are there pressure signs?

Scott

Now lets say I want to load some #00 buckshot can I use the same data but just substitute the 1 1/2 oz of #8 shot for 12 00 Buckshot (BTW 12 #00 weigh 1 1/2oz). If this was a Rifle or a Pistol I could always work a load "up" and look for pressure signs. But on a shotgun how do you know if it is going to blow up until it does? Are there pressure signs?

1.5 ounces of shot is the same as 1.5 ounces of buckshot. Since you are only working with pressures at about 11,000 psi or less, there is no real way to determine whether the pressure is too high. In shotshell loading, they tell you a specific charge weight to throw. You can load a little light (for less velocity) without worrying about squibs (unless it is a really significant load like 14 grains of something instead of 18 or 19 grains).

Of course if the pressure is so high you are splitting the brass heads, then yes, pressure is higher than it should be. But if you follow loading data with wad selection, powder, primer, etc, you shouldn't worry too much about it. Something most people don't know is that rolled crimps don't spike pressure as high as folded crimps. Hence why they use a fold crimp for slugs. Higher velocity for the same pressure. But then I found this out by reading about loading that kind of payload and obtaining my data manuals from Ballistic Products, a very good source for shotshell loading of all kinds.

Vince

Ballistic products says that, true enough. " you can substitute buck for anything else without raising pressure ".

Hodgdon powder tech guys ( they are getting tired of me asking for Longshot buckshot data ), say something entirely different. " for our data, #4 shot ( NOT #4 buck ) is the largest shot that should be used, even #2 shot will raise pressure. "

Who you want to believe is up to you.

But IMHO, loading up a shotgun til you see signs of pressure will have you seeing a bright light, and it ain't gonna be muzzleflash........ I cannot tell you whether you should walk into the light.

The first sign of pressure in shotshells may be shrapnel.

I have been pestering Hodgdon for Longshot buck data since the stuff came out.

I could use some help.

Phone: 913-362-9455

Travis F.

Travis,

I found some data on using longshot and buckshot at loadyourown.com

here is the data I found:

Win AA hull

12 #00

WAA12R wad

27.4g Longshot

Vel 1250 fps

This data is the reason I asked about this becouse this data looks like the birdshot data but buckshot instead of birdshot.

Scott P