Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead Splatter

Flash Pan

I was shooting my GP100 today and every once in a while I will get some lead splatter on my left forearm or, as today, on my left cheek. It is neither painful nor even disturbing but what could cause a bullet to splatter like that? I am shooting 158gr. Bear Creek lead bullets in my reloads. Today there was a small chunk of lead on the left side of the frame next to the barrel. There were no flyers on the target. What could be causing this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Dan

I shoot the same bullet. Pretty happy with them, they can really be resized in the barrel without the coating coming apart. Once in a while they have a defective one come thru. Might also check the exit side of the cylinder to make sure all the holes are the same size. Had a PC where one was larger and caused no end of mischief.

Jim G

This happen while shooting paper targets at 25 yards. The splatter is from the revolver.

I would check barrel gap, and also see if there is a build up of carbon or lead at the face of the forcing cone. Just a thought. later rdd

A misaligned crane, excessive cylinder gap, improperly sized forcing cone (too big or too small), and improper timing can all cause spitting. Typically, the lead accumulates on the side opposite of where the bullet is striking, but I haven't found that to be true in every case. If this is a recently occurring problem with a proven load, timing is most likely.

Thank you all for the advice. This happens most often when the revolver has been fired a lot. I will give it a through cleaning and see when it starts doing it again. I had the cylinder throats opened up to a uniform .358. When I got the gun one of the cylinder throats was .3565. That eased the problem some. I should have had the forcing cone enlarged at that time, but I didn’t. I guess that is my next step. I had the gunsmith put a range rod to it and all was well then.

Dan

You might be getting abnormal wear to the star where the hand engages it to rotate the cylinder. You might have a burr building up around the cylinder stop slot, or too much wear of the cylinder stop itself. These could all cause the timing offset, where the cylinder doesn't lock up prior to the gun firing, or there is too much play in the cylinder when locked up. The bullet exits the cylinder misaligned with the barrel, and gets shaved on the entry to the forcing cone.

If this is a recent problem that came on gradually, then the forcing cone is probably not the problem. And if you 'open up' the forcing cone to catch the errant bullet, you might eliminate the bullet shaving but you will probably cause accuracy problems.

Well, I don’t know if this could cause the problem, but when I disassembled the gun for cleaning I notice that the cylinder did not spin freely on the yoke. Close inspection showed that there was a severe buildup of lead preventing the cylinder from spinning freely. After a through cleaning the revolver is functioning flawlessly and after 200 rounds no lead spitting.

The problem developed over time and although I cleaned the cylinder and barrel did not pay any serious attention to the cylinder and yoke junction. Could this have caused the problem or should I be on the look out for something else?

Dan