Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone thought of using a grinder stand for their reloader?

I had seen a very similar idea probably within just the past month over on Sig Forum.

But the guy had some special machining/fabrication done so that he could spin his around. He had two presses mounted to it, if I recall correctly. A Dillon progressive on one side, then an RCBS single stage on the back.

I had just like mentally entertained the idea for a few seconds of making those as a side business, but with one or two changes to them....but....then it struck me....what a PITA it would be to ship it, because it is obviously not going to fit in a USPS flat rate shipping box. just doing the math in my head for the steel, my shop rate, painting/powder coating, and shipping costs...pfftt...I'd be lucky to sell it for $150, and some guy is gonna go, "Hey, that's just a bench grinder stand you can get at Home Depot for $54.97!"

fiddlesticks!

yeah, man, I don't see why it wouldn't work, unless of course you want to use a strong mount also, for some reason.

I am looking for something like this as well... I have extremely limited space to setup a Dillon 550B and need to stash it in a small corner essentially.

yeah, man, I don't see why it wouldn't work, unless of course you want to use a strong mount also, for some reason.
I am still new and researching all things Dillon / reloading... why wouldn't the strong mount work on this base? I was thinking of mounting the strong mount to a thick board, then the board to the stand... am I over thinking it?

I have that particular stand for my grinder and its garbage. The pillar uses pinch bolts at the bottom to secure it and in order to get any amount of clamping force to hold it tight, the pinch bolts start to collapse the tube itself when tightened. I ended up drilling through and using nuts and bolts to keep it from working loose. Even more so, the base isn't very wide and would either walk around or want to tip over with the typical lateral forces of reloading. Often, you need to fasten your bench to the wall/floor to get sufficient stability; having it on a little stand would be precarious for sure.

I know there will be people along shortly that will proudly say that they attach their press to a black and Decker portable workmate bench or a Little Tykes My First Workbench toy with c-clamps and scotch tape but you know they are fighting that thing left and right to keep it steady.

I have that particular stand for my grinder and its garbage. The pillar uses pinch bolts at the bottom to secure it and in order to get any amount of clamping force to hold it tight, the pinch bolts start to collapse the tube itself when tightened. I ended up drilling through and using nuts and bolts to keep it from working loose. Even more so, the base isn't very wide and would either walk around or want to tip over with the typical lateral forces of reloading. Often, you need to fasten your bench to the wall/floor to get sufficient stability; having it on a little stand would be precarious for sure.

Well, I figured like the UlimtedLoaders's setup, I might need to use a bench. I am gonna check out the grinder stand tomorrow after IDPA. If I get it, I will post pics of my setup.

I know there will be people along shortly that will proudly say that they attach their press to a black and Decker portable workmate bench or a Little Tykes My First Workbench toy with c-clamps and scotch tape but you know they are fighting that thing left and right to keep it steady.

Been there, done that, won't go back.

I am looking for something like this as well... I have extremely limited space to setup a Dillon 550B and need to stash it in a small corner essentially.

I am still new and researching all things Dillon / reloading... why wouldn't the strong mount work on this base? I was thinking of mounting the strong mount to a thick board, then the board to the stand... am I over thinking it?

I'd actually have to get up and measure the strongmount under my 650, but just me, personally, I would try to eliminate as many "go betweens" from the press to the stand, that's all.

I'd actually have to get up and measure the strongmount under my 650, but just me, personally, I would try to eliminate as many "go betweens" from the press to the stand, that's all.

+1. Unless those go betweens are adding more stability, the less flex points the better.

$7.00 Loading bench. The $7.00 was for the bolts, the scrap lumber came from an Emu pen we tore down. What really makes it work is the thousands of bullets and brass on the bottom shelf, weights a ton. It don't need to be fancy just cause its a dillon. I'd need to load on a ladder if I had a strong mount, make the bench for your height.

http://www.sashooter...p?g2_itemId=746

The bench has not been cleaned or oiled in 4 years still running strong!

I have one of those grinder stands it won't work very well, about like a TV Tray.

Edited by CocoBolo

let's say you put it down in your basement or in your garage, wherever the floor is concrete, and you bolted the feet down to floor (like with Redhead type anchors....or just threaded rod and epoxy)?

it would still be that flimsy?

let's say you put it down in your basement or in your garage, wherever the floor is concrete, and you bolted the feet down to floor (like with Redhead type anchors....or just threaded rod and epoxy)?

it would still be that flimsy?

I've noticed two factors that relate to reloading bench strength. First is general bench stability or in other words, keeping the bench steady during reloading. You can anchor it to the floor or the to achieve that. The second is bench strength. This pertains to solidly your bench is constructed and more specifically, how solid your table top is and its resistance to flexing. Focus on those two factors first and you'll have a pretty solid foundation to work with. Every thing else is just features after that.