Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long are your barrels lasting?

Alaskapopo

With the 20" stainless Rock River barrel I have on my Limited rig I have got approx. 10-12,000 rounds down range. These are all very warm 55 and 69 grain loads.

I dont really keep track, just shoot some groups occasinaly to see how it performs.

The groups have opened up from .5moa to 1.5moa so I will start looking for a new barrel later this spring.

Not bad for a 200 dollar barrel.

Can I have your old barrel? I could have a lot of fun with a 1.5 MOA barrel, if it were free + shipping.

I have not kept good enough track but probably around 3000 to 4000 rounds.

Whoa, that is WAY too low a round count for that type of accuracy loss for a Noveske. My bet's that you need to clean the crown. Do you use the KG series of cleaning products? They are quite frankly awesome at keeping barrels accurate. When the carbon buildup gets bad on my crown, I'll soak it in KG1 overnight, and then the stuff scrapes off easily with a fingernail. KG2 keeps the bore polished smooth. KG3 is basic gun scrubber like carburetor cleaner, and KG4 is their special gun oil that plays well with their other products.

You were right. I removed the comp which was very hard. I removed the forend and put the barrel in a vice with a lot of padding. That sucker was on tight I got it off and found a bunch of crap in by the crown in the comp. I cleaned it out and cleaned the crown on the barrel. I re-installed it with a new crush washer. I have heard that if you install a muzzle device too tight it can also affect accuracy. Anyway my gun is shooting the way it did a year ago again.

The Lapua load improved by .38 moa

The Nosler load by .19 moa

The 52 grain SMK load by .16 moa.

Thanks again guys. Now I am feeling better about going to the Texas Multigun match.

NoveskeRogueHunterrangereport4-1-12.jpg

closeupoflapuaandSierragroups.jpg