Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

poor gun handling at 3 a gun match

If you sweep me with what should be an unloaded gun at the end of a course of fire and after the unload and show clear command, I'm going to give you a warning.

If his gun handling is so poor that he sweeps you at all why would you assume its an unloaded gun?

Bill

I said "what should be an unloaded gun", so I'm not really assuming it is unloaded, but I do generally trust that the RO verified that the gun was unloaded at the "show clear", which is why it wouldn't bother me as much.

At our range in Oak Ridge TN we got pretty lax at the monthly 3 gun match over a period of time. maybe because the experienced shooters would squad together and were overly confident in each other. A guy who had not shot with us for a while showed up and called us out. He was right and everyone responded appropriately. But I have to give the guy credit - he ddn't mince words and spoke out. Not always easy to do.

However, even at the worse, sweeping someone with a flagged long gun was not acceptable, and never should be.

Why is it that most matches ever one is so carefull about keeping the pistols holstered, but it ok to sweep everyone with rifles and shotguns?? Maybe if one goes off it will kill you less???? :surprise:

so many shooters forget the basic rules of guns when the long guns come out.......

I said some thing about it and was told "its ok, they are unloaded" !!!!!!!! :angry2:

I sure the hell don't want to be setting targets or taping if I know some one is handling a gun in my direction.

It happened to me at a local 3-gun match a few years ago (I posted about it on the be.com forum). Relatively new guy started handling his rifle (to show it off to his buddies) when others where downrange taping targets, sweeping everyone. MD was there and saw the whole thing, didn't give a %$^#. I never went back (I was one of the people downrange).

Also to add, that if you witness safety violations not being addressed by the RM/MD, etc. I would not hesitate to notify the club's Board of Directors. If anything happened and someone got hurt, and the insurance company found out that the club was ignoring safety infractions, there is a very real possibility that the insurance company will deny any insurance claim.

Edited by davidwiz

I consider a gun in a cart, secure holster, or in a case to not be considered sweaping because the gun is not being "handled". Once a gun is in someones hands then I consider it sweaping.

+1

guns don't kill people, people do...