Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major 9 in a stock Glock?

JD45

Other than an aftermarket fully supported chamber, what is the main difference in a stock 17/34 and a open div. Glock?

If you can't shoot a few major loads in a stock gun, how close to major can you go? And I do mean without any chance of harming the gun.

Edited by JD45

As long as the chamber is supported and not super loose you should be able to shoot the same ammo that you would use the same ammo as a oppen build on the same gun. Small grame glocks are built in 357sig that runs upward of 175 power factor with factory ammo, the only difference between 9 major and 357sig as far as the gun is concerned is chamber presure.

Mike

Well, 9 major was designed with the Open gun in mind. With their compensated barrels and lightly sprung slides to allow full cycling.

All that slow powder produces extreme pressure and the gas to go with it. I have shot A LOT of 9 Major in my Open gun and I ain't down

with igniting them in a stock G17, match barrel or otherwise.

There are many high performance defensive 9mm ammo choices out now, I wouldn't bother. JMO

Probably a bad assumption on my part, but I was assuming that if you were going to try for 9mm major you would work your loads up from known minor loads up and go up to major PF checking for pressure signs as you go up. To me, it would be the height of stupidity to just take somebody else's 9mm major load that was tuned for a completely different platform like a 1911, CZ, or Tanfoglio, and then throw it into a Glock.

As long as the chamber is supported and not super loose you should be able to shoot the same ammo that you would use the same ammo as a oppen build on the same gun. Small grame glocks are built in 357sig that runs upward of 175 power factor with factory ammo, the only difference between 9 major and 357sig as far as the gun is concerned is chamber presure.

Mike

+1

No one can say major power factor ammo in general will or will not work in your gun. Your barrel and brass can support a certain chamber pressure. Will that chamber pressure allow you to get into major power factors with a slow powder?

Probably, but I don't feel the need to try it in anything but an aftermarket barrel with a tight chamber.