Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

870 with 18.5" barrel for HD. IC or Mod choke?

Mifune326

Greetings everyone!

I'm planning on purchasing an 870 Police with a 18.5" barrel for HD. Remington offers this shotgun with either an IC or a Mod choke. I plan on loading it primarily with 00 Buck but want the option of shooting slugs through it when necessary.

I like the idea of the Mod choke for tighter groups with 00 Buck but am not sure how the slugs will perform through this choke. Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks!

I saw an interesting thing last week at the local gun show: One of the dealers had several OEM 18.5" barrels with FULL chokes. I had never seen it, but there it was, stamped as such, and you could see the constriction when looking down the barrel.

He said that they were spec'ed for some police department and he got the over-run.

Mod should be fine I see lots of guys doing it without problems. But for HD the IC would prolly be better. Super short range.

In preps for 3 GUN I patterned my SG with different chokes at different ranges; 10yds, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40.

No real difference 10-15 yards between cyl and turkey XX full.

15 yards I started to see some differences.

Just some info, you might be surprised if you pattern your SG at short ranges.

They say all SGs pattern differently.

I think if I really wanted a wide pattern up close I would go for the Taurus Judge set-up, birdshot out of a rifled barrel, I'm thinkin that would spread out!

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401