Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

whats needed exactly for .223 rem loading

cali shot doc

I have a Dillon 550b and only load 9mm at this time. I've been shooting my AR a lot more lately and starting to compete soon so i've decided to look into loading it. I know there are a lot more steps involved with case prep but what exactly do I need. I'm just not sure what's out there. I know i can go the Dillon way and buy a super swager, carbide blade trimmer and carbide dies and that will pretty much set me up but what else is out there that isn't as expensive. Most of my brass is from PMC and i believe the primer isn't crimped.

Just looking for some suggestions.

Reloading .223 is easy:

Get some brass.

Clean the brass.

Lube the brass. I use whatever lube I find that's cheap.

Size the brass. You do not need carbide dies. They do not offer any advantage. Get regular dies.

Check your sizing with a headspace gauge.

You can trim the brass now with a dillon rt1200 and then clean the lube off of the brass, or...

Clean the lube off the brass first and then trim with your choice of trimmer.

Measure the case length with calipers and adjust trimmer if necessary.

Chamfer and deburr the brass.

Swage if necessary.

Prime, charge, seat bullet.

Crimp if you want.

Shoot.

Get two toolheads. One to size (and trim if using the rt1200), and one to load.

Darren

Edited by dmc_md

I'M OLD fashioned (OLD literly) so it is a OLD RCBS press, lanolin (smear some on the fingers then comb trough the brass)resize, use a LEE trimer, chamfer as necessary, polish in corn cob. Commercial brass reload. Military brass; cheapest use a champer tool to cut through the crimp, quicker/easier use a Dillon Super Swage. Takes a while to teach and OLD dog new tricks but I have also switched to only Lake City brass. And it is only a one time deal so lazy is not really bad.