Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 squibs?

modex

I was just curious if anyone know how undercharged a .223 cartridge has to be for the round to get stuck in the barrel. How much pressure is need to clear a round?

The way I see it, there are a few possibilities:

1. bullet never makes it to gas port, and does not cycle

2. bullet makes it past gas port but not out of barrel

3. bullet makes it past gas port, but not out of barrel, and cycles the bolt

Is there any possibility of the bolt cycling just from pressure, even if no gas gets to gas port?

Let's pretend that powder check dies don't exist.

Even with 50,000 PSI blanks, the bolt won't move enough to chamber a second round without a BFA.

As far as I know, a primer isn't enough to produce a squib in .223.

I've never actually tested it - but I believe it since I've loaded a statistically significant quantity of .223 with no squibs - nor have I ever seen one in 10 years of shooting.

I'd wager you'd blow up a rifle with excess pressures in a low powered load (one that doesn't use handgun powder) before you produced a squib.

Edited by DyNo!

A few years ago I was trying to work up a subsonic load for my AR-15 for use with a suppressor. With reduced loads, the rifle would not cycle at all. During a load work up, I had a bullet get stuck just past the gasport, and the bolt did cycle. The sound was much different and definitely noticeable; I knew right away what happened. The bullet was surprisingly easy to push out with a cleaning rod. I would say that the resistance was similar to a tight fitting patch over a jag.

-John