Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't decide on a barrel for my build

JoWaCa

Nordic Components is selling an 18" rifle gas barrel. Just built a rifle with one but haven't groupe I yet. Look great and I'm sure it will be awesome.

The groups are coming in. This barrel took a tad longer to settle than the previous 16" barrels from Nordic. It is close to a Mk12 profile, but with a few changes. It has a Wylde chamber and an 0.093" gas port diameter, both beneficial. I spent a good amount of time working gas volumes for the variety of loads and settled on that as an optimum port size. Ken trusted my analysis, and I think we have a real winner. We have 4 rifles built with these so far and they are running well.

We are using (and stocking) them as does Nordic, Firebird and Predator Tactical.

Anychance you have load information you'd share for this barrel? Just setting up one with the same barrel and any starting points would be awesome.

Mine shoots the Hornady 75 with 24 grains of RE-15 sub moa out to 400. Hornady 55s are not far behind with 25 grains of AA2230. Standard disclaimer applies, work your loads up accordingly for your rifle. The Nordic barrel is a keeper. First shot hit at 400 at the Midwest match was no trouble.

Edited by assaulter

Mine shoots the Hornady 75 with 24 grains of RE-15 sub moa out to 400. Hornady 55s are not far behind with 25 grains of AA2230. Standard disclaimer applies, work your loads up accordingly for your rifle. The Nordic barrel is a keeper. First shot hit at 400 at the Midwest match was no trouble.

Thanks! I love thus forum :)

Anychance you have load information you'd share for this barrel? Just setting up one with the same barrel and any starting points would be awesome.

As with all load data, you must consult a manual, check the load dats and work up loads as suggested in the manuals. Case prep is also a factor. My data below is at 75F, 5000 feet and 25% RH. These are the loads I am currently using.

With Hornady 68s, 2.25" OAL, match processed LC brass, WSR primer, 24.3 grains of TAC is giving me 2860 fps.

With Sierra 69s, 2.23" OAL, match processed LC brass, WSR primer, 24.0 grains of TAC is giving me 2820 fps.

With Win 55 fmj, 2.23" OAL, mixed commercial .223 brass, CCI41 primer, 23.5 grains of AA2230 is giving me 2950 fps.

The Hornady's, under 2850 did not have acceptable accuracy for me and overall the Sierras were more accurate printing about 1/2 MOA a few tenths over and under the listed load. The 55 FMJs listed are about a 1.5 MOA load at best. I have not fully tested all loads in the 18", but these are clsoe to what I ran in the 16" Wilson. I did put my "super secret squirrel" load in for 5 rounds and printed a 100 yard, 5 shot group of .4" benched, bagged and with a 14x scope. This load has printed 0.22" out of my 24" Kreiger for my best 5 shot group ever and it is consistently the best load in almost every AR I have tried it in.

You probably won't get these groups in the first 250 rounds or so. I've seen the barrels settle in from about 200 rounds to 300 rounds, so be patient and don't worry about the accuracy until you get past 250.

As with all load data, you must consult a manual, check the load dats and work up loads as suggested in the manuals. Case prep is also a factor. My data below is at 75F, 5000 feet and 25% RH. These are the loads I am currently using.

With Hornady 68s, 2.25" OAL, match processed LC brass, WSR primer, 24.3 grains of TAC is giving me 2860 fps.

With Sierra 69s, 2.23" OAL, match processed LC brass, WSR primer, 24.0 grains of TAC is giving me 2820 fps.

With Win 55 fmj, 2.23" OAL, mixed commercial .223 brass, CCI41 primer, 23.5 grains of AA2230 is giving me 2950 fps.

The Hornady's, under 2850 did not have acceptable accuracy for me and overall the Sierras were more accurate printing about 1/2 MOA a few tenths over and under the listed load. The 55 FMJs listed are about a 1.5 MOA load at best. I have not fully tested all loads in the 18", but these are clsoe to what I ran in the 16" Wilson. I did put my "super secret squirrel" load in for 5 rounds and printed a 100 yard, 5 shot group of .4" benched, bagged and with a 14x scope. This load has printed 0.22" out of my 24" Kreiger for my best 5 shot group ever and it is consistently the best load in almost every AR I have tried it in.

You probably won't get these groups in the first 250 rounds or so. I've seen the barrels settle in from about 200 rounds to 300 rounds, so be patient and don't worry about the accuracy until you get past 250.

Will absolutely check load #s in the books and start conservatively. No desire to push limits from the start. I also just picked up a case trimmer and spare tool head so I can really process the .223 cases I've been slowly hoarding.

Having never broken in a barrel... is any ammo fine for the break in? I have a bunch of 5.56 Federal XM193 sitting around.

Edited by splitime