Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WHICH BARREL LENGTH FOR .308

SHERIFF

Depends. If weight is a factor (e.g. you plan on carrying this around a lot), then a shorter barrel (20") is nice to have. Otherwise, a 26" barrel is a somewhat better choice. Twist doesn't matter that much unless you are going to be shooting something like the Berger VLD bullets. In which case you are into a whole different ballpark on what kind of rifle you need.

If you are looking for a good place to start, a Remington 700P is a decent enough choice. If you want to step it up a bit, have a look at a Rem 700 5R mil-spec. If weight is a consideration, look at the 700P LTR.

If Savage is more to your liking, there are several Model 10 rifles to pick from.

Like I said, it all depends on what kind of shooting you'll be doing. Distance is only one aspect.

Edited by Graham Smith

I'd like to thank you all for the quick response :cheers: and i'm thinking about the 20' ;)

any way thanks a lot!!!

20 inch is plenty long enough. If you can afford to buy a flutted barrel added bonus and makes for a lighter gun. Ammo makes the biggest difference with accuracy. As long as you buy a quality barrel and have a gun with decent parts, with the right ammo it will shoot great. Well assuming you have a good smith or buy from a good company. Also go for good optics, good optics with a nice mount make a good rifle, great. :cheers:

Let us know what you end up going with and how it works out for you.