Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So, I'm an idiot

Ryan

So, I've been shooting my P16-40 lim and upgrading it over the past few years. I never liked the trigger so I put in a matched C&S kit. That didn't do what I expected so I put in a series 80 reduction kit. Still wasn't impressed so I pulled out the series 80 parts and put in a shim. Still wasn't happy but was dealing with it.

Then I started experiencing malf's, the trigger was locking up during matches occasionally. I blamed the new hammer/sear/disconnector but could never reproduce the problem via dryfire or in practice, only during matches. Fast-forward to last week's classifier... stage 2 of 4 and my para turned into a single shot, manually racking the slide to get the trigger to reset for every shot. I then went to the safe table and tore it down to try and figure it out. After scratching my head for awhile, It finally dawned on me that the trigger was fine and that the grip safety was the issue! The operational safety was barely disengaging when completely depressed. After a band*aid over the grip safety, helped with a half dozen pasters, the last couple stages went functionally perfect.

So, tonight I finally took a file to that damned grip safety and went to town. Now, the GS is still operational but disengages with only slight depression. Instead of the trigger bow dragging on the GS, the trigger is free to glide free!!!

Boy, what a difference! Now I have the trigger pull I've been after all this time. It never occurred to me that the GS could have been the issue all along...

Ryan

post-13897-0-89422400-1329188802_thumb.j

Why not just ditch the damn GS all together?

+1 on this. More trouble than it's worth on a competition gun. I found that if I got my grip nice and high on the beavertail I was actually disengaging the grip safety! Pinned it and now it's sweet. One less thing to go wrong.

Thanks for sharing this...I am researching to build a Comp Gun and thinking a Para is the way I am leaning...one more thing to add to the list to prevent this headache....much obliged sir and congrats on figuring it out

If you go para, don't forget to go through the frame with files/stones: the trigger raceway was rough and needing polishing, the mag release raceway had some sharp corners and 'extra' material that needed removing, the magwell needed blending with my DP magwell, and I had to recut the slide serrations as the newer factory ones are garbage- my hand kept slipping and i ended up cutting my palm on the rear sight blade more often than not.

All in all, i really like my para.... but it isnt an STI