Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Charging handle releasing ?

Mike P

Does any of you know what might cause the charging handle to release/unlock intermittently when firing. It is a .308 upper that I put together myself. I have used two different charging handles, both do it.

I doesn't do it everytime. The latch seems secure, I mean it won't come loose manually without releasing the latch. Any ideas?

I would check the underside of the charge handle where the gas key slides and see if you can spot any heavy binding. If not, it's possible they didn't mill the catch for the latch deep enough in the upper reciever for a proper hold. This is all speculation, that's one issue I haven't come across before, but I don't have a lot of experience with the .308 AR's.

Edited by Shooter115

Is the notch in the upper that the handle grabs cut deep enough? I have an old worn A1 upper where the back end of the notch was worn and rounded. Stupid charging handle would whack me in the nose almost every shot. A little dremel work to deepen the cut out did the trick.

• 2 months later...

I'm having a similar issue. It's a DPMS LR-308 AP4. Adj gas block, jp comp, rest is stock as DPMS ships it. If I just pull on the handle it's pretty stout, but every shot it thumps me on the nose. It's done this even before I changed out the factory parts as indicated above. It's my 1st AR of any caliber, and thought maybe that's just how the .308 is.

I have the gas set to 1/8th of a turn open from where the bolt will just lock back. There is some wear one the underside, but no signs in the gas key channel. If I drop in a new handle and have the same issue, then what would be next?

Thanks,

Is the notch in the upper that the handle grabs cut deep enough? I have an old worn A1 upper where the back end of the notch was worn and rounded. Stupid charging handle would whack me in the nose almost every shot. A little dremel work to deepen the cut out did the trick.

First Ar I ever shot, way back in... Anyway, thing thumped me in the nose with every round I shot, and I thought, "Who would want one of those!"