Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550 Shell plate Issues

No matter how I adjust the bolt on my shell plate it keeps tightening down every 6th round I then have to stop adjust it looser and repeat the process after six rounds really P$$$ me off at this point been messing with it for about 1hr. I loosened it all the way until the shell would fall of the plate which didn't work and then did 1/8 turns and it still tightens after like 8rnds what the ##### is going on? I love my dillon when it works the primer system is also being a pain in the #####.

There is a set screw on the main shaft once you get the right tension on the cap head on the shell plate lower the handle and you will see a set screw on the left side I believe its 1/8" allen anyway snug that set screw against the cap head and it will lock it in place...remember to loosen it when you change the shell plate again before you try toloosen the top cap head on the shell plate.

There is a set screw on the main shaft once you get the right tension on the cap head on the shell plate lower the handle and you will see a set screw on the left side I believe its 1/8" allen anyway snug that set screw against the cap head and it will lock it in place...remember to loosen it when you change the shell plate again before you try toloosen the top cap head on the shell plate.

Agreed. It is called a brass tipped screw or something I think.

No matter how I adjust the bolt on my shell plate it keeps tightening down every 6th round I then have to stop adjust it looser and repeat the process after six rounds really P$$ me off at this point been messing with it for about 1hr. I loosened it all the way until the shell would fall of the plate which didn't work and then did 1/8 turns and it still tightens after like 8rnds what the ##### is going on? I love my dillon when it works the primer system is also being a pain in the #####.

If you want you can PM me and I can work through the 550 issues you are having. I tinkered with mine for three years and pretty much finally had everything figured out.

Then sold it to get a 650.rolleyes.gif

Glad to help.

Do not feel bad....I have the "Been there Done that" t-shirt for the "forgot the brass tipped screw" issue.

Buying the tool holder and wrench set really helps me remember that step in the process. The Allen wrench for the brass tipped screw calls my name if I do not use it!