Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA 3 Gun, Has anybody seen it happen?

Never seen one held and wouldn't enter if I did as the rules are anti-Saiga. Ah, leave it to IDPA to nix one of the most internationally recognized practical defensive shotguns from matches :wacko:

I do enjoy IDPA handgun matches though- mostly because we've got a great squad that shoots together and that makes it a good time.

I shot a fun little IDPA DMG match at Hollidaysburg, PA last year. Shooting is more fun that not shooting, and shooting three guns is at least three times as much fun as shooting just one gun, but the IDPA stage guidance rules for multigun are, well, a bit limiting...

I can see only two real reasons to do IDPA DMG. The first is you are in an area that (1) has no other significant 3-gun match presence and (2) has a more established base of IDPA shooters than USPSA/IMGA shooters. The second reason is limited bay space. Hollidaysburg fit both requirements; they have an active IDPA community and not so much USPSA, and they are mostly limited to short distance pistol bays.

At my own local club, we run an occasional 3-Gun match that is somewhat IDPAish. We have IDPA, but really no USPSA in the area, so that's what folks are used to. We have limited bay space and limited steel/reactive targets, which means we just aren't going to run stages that require a lot more than 20 rifle or 10 shotgun shots per stage. Lastly, we are limited to .22LR or pistol-caliber on the rifles, and birdshot only on the shotgun.

I'd rather go where the real 3-Gun matches are, but they're few and far between in my neck of the woods, so I will take whatever multigun I can get. :cheers:

Many of the IDPA defensive multi-gun rules are directly contrary to the organization's mission statement.

If you want Tactical/Defensive multi-gun (Rifle/Pistol) ACTS is the direction things need to go: http://sinistralrifleman.com/2011/12/19/acts-not-like-any-other-action-shooting-sport/

ACTS intrigues me, makes a lot of sense! Good write up. I wish somebody would start a division at Rio or PR&G, last time I went to the Pima/Tucson range I didn't know if my car would make it through the washes and I wouldn't be able to make it to work in Uptown PHX in time on the weekends:cheers: