Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

legal to remove serial number (NOT ON THE 'GUN')

steviesterno

hey all,

not sure where to ask this question (or really how without sounding totally shady). Ok, so I know you can't legally remove a gun's serial number. However, I picked up a sig 1911 22 and it has god-awful writing all over the slide. I was hoping to bead blast and refinish it, and wanted to clean up the slide. But the serial number is copied up there.

My thought is you can't alter a serial number on a gun, but legally, the slide is a part, and the frame is the actual gun. At least that's the only part that needs to transfer through an FFL. My thought is if I ordered just a slide, it wouldn't have any numbers on it. So if in the process of working on or lightening the slide, this serial number goes away but the ones on the frame remains, am I a felon? I'd really rather not be :cheers:

BTW, this is going to be a full custom 1911 22 for steel challenge. Have a C more, mag well, all sorts of stuff ready to make this puppy blast!

Thanks,

Steve

You can remove the number from the slide. A lot of times gunsmiths will engrave the serial number on the slide, genneraly out of view. All it is for is matching the two together. My open gun has the serial number on the slide but out of view. Let's say you have two or three open guns built by the same gunsmith. It helps identify which goes with with. Because as we know each slide is fitted for each gun.

It's my understanding that some if not most European countries consider any major component the gun and that's why guns from that part of the world have the S/N on all three major parts. Here in the US, have at it!

good, because after spending that much time on the belt sander, all the info is long gone! Plus it's shinyyyyyy!!!!! :cheers:

oh yeah, and I pulled out the 80 series junk, lightened the trigger, ripped out the sights and made a dovetail racker for it. Also made 5 mag bumpers to go with the new magwell (and removed mag safety) Just have to machine the 90* cmore mount, as well as make a comp from stock and we'll be in good shape!

good, because after spending that much time on the belt sander, all the info is long gone! Plus it's shinyyyyyy!!!!! :cheers:

oh yeah, and I pulled out the 80 series junk, lightened the trigger, ripped out the sights and made a dovetail racker for it. Also made 5 mag bumpers to go with the new magwell (and removed mag safety) Just have to machine the 90* cmore mount, as well as make a comp from stock and we'll be in good shape!

Pictures please...I am planning on getting a Colt 1911 22 to set up for steel challenge also...I want to check on how your are going to install a comp...

BTW, which parts are aluminum on your gun? both frame and slide?

as soon as I can figure out how to post pics, I will. In the mean time, send me your email or phone number and I'll get one out to you.

It will be easy for me to do a comp since the barrel is already threaded. All I need is the adapter which I have on order, and whatever comp I make will thread right on... Will also use my can for fun shoots and generally plinking.

The slide was aluminum (and pretty soft, we will be milling some speed holes soon) but polished up pretty well. Also sanding got the pock marks out of the metal.

The frame seems to be steel and it's solid. The internals seem to be of decent quality, but the trigger is polymer. I'll replace those as needed. :cheers: