Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mounting 550 - screw diameter

My 550 care package from Brian hasn't arrived yet, but I'm on the way to the hardware store for a few things and thought I'd pick up what I need to attach the strong mount to a 2x12 (then clamp the board to the table). This is my temporary solution until I figure out where I want everything.

What diameter lag bolts will I need to attach the strong mount to the 2x12? Do you recommend lock washers or anything like that, too?

Thanks for the last minute help!

Edited by Sergeant Spam

edit: Belay this post. When I first read it I didn't catch that you were using a strong mount. The info below is for a 550 without a strong mount.

The actual dimensions of the board on mine is 7 1/4"x 1 1/2" x 24" , so I think that means it is a 2x8 board. Not sure I would want it any wider. It's attached via 1/4-20 hex head bolts with the back side of the screw holes counterbored to allow it to sit flat on the table. I would recommend using grade 5 or better.

Edited by Bamboo

edit: Belay this post. When I first read it I didn't catch that you were using a strong mount. The info below is for a 550 without a strong mount.

The actual dimensions of the board on mine is 7 1/4"x 1 1/2" x 24" , so I think that means it is a 2x8 board. Not sure I would want it any wider. It's attached via 1/4-20 hex head bolts with the back side of the screw holes counterbored to allow it to sit flat on the table. I would recommend using grade 5 or better.

Great idea - thanks!

My 550 care package from Brian hasn't arrived yet, but I'm on the way to the hardware store for a few things and thought I'd pick up what I need to attach the strong mount to a 2x12 (then clamp the board to the table). This is my temporary solution until I figure out where I want everything.

What diameter lag bolts will I need to attach the strong mount to the 2x12? Do you recommend lock washers or anything like that, too?

Thanks for the last minute help!

I'd skip the lag bolts, and do actual bolts with washers and nuts. You could counter bore the 2x12 so the bottom washer/nut is below the surface so it doesn't get in the way of mounting the 2x12. I'm not sure I'd trust just lag bolts to keep everything secure, esp when it wouldn't be much more work to get some washers and nuts on the other side.