Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What gun for big hands?

double down

I want to build or purchase a 1911 based pistol but all of them seem so small since I have large hands. I've held the standard government single stack, the Para double stack, and one of the STI double stack versions. It seems like my hand hangs below the bottom of the grip by a good 3/4" to an 1" when my hand is tight against the beavertail safety. The guns with big mag wells felt really different to hold, I couldn't imagine shooting it like that.

Can anyone offer some options or your opinion on what frames, grips, etc. for someone with large hands?

Buy one of the polymer 1911's or 2011's and stick strips of epoxy on the frame. It works for Saul Kirsch and his hands are huge. Since Saul moved to the Netherlands almost every shooter has done this, because it will also enhance the grip for "normal sized" hands.

As my body-lenght is 2.04 m and my hands are 22 cm (bottom of palm to top of middle-finger, size: huge) for me there's just one option SVI or STI: SV with the longest ITS flat-trigger, arched main spring housing, very,very big Magwell with skateboard tape and customized grip surface.

Works well for me!

Henny.

Cheapest and biggest would be Para, with wraparound rubber grips by Pachmayr or Hogue or Pearce. Another option for any 1911 is 2-3 layers of skateboard or pool&patio tape. Start over the front strap & go around the right-side grip.

A Caspian hi-cap with real grips attached is also very big, esp. front-to-back. Very long down to the built-in magwell, too.

The big Glocks in 10mm and 45cal are HUGE but also a little flat on the the sides. Might not fill in the space under your stronghand knuckles. But worth a try.

I've got "paws" for hands as well. I use an SV frame with a long flat trigger, a flat mainspring housing, Ed Brown "non speed bump" grip safety, SV stainless steel magwell and one "layer" of grip tape on the side panels only.

I would guess that an SV/STI/Para frame and as large (deep) of a mag well possible would be a "must" for you and then you could swap/try different components for that "individual" feel.

Good Luck !