Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Plate Size and Shape

USPSA rules permit steel plates that are between 8"-12" in diameter or 6"-12" square. For comparison, pepper poppers are 12" in diameter in the center and mini pepper poppers are 8". Our club is looking at getting some plates for the upcoming year and I wanted to get peoples input. We are getting the hinged type plates from GT Targets and he normally supplies these as 8" circles.

Having shot some various sized and shaped plates during my first year, I am well aware that these things have a negative psychological impact on many shooters. For some reason, the 8" circles are great bullet wasters. Put a mini-pp right next to a 8" plate and many people will hit the pp first shot dead center then proceed to miss the plate three times. Oddly enough, people don't seem to have as much trouble with an 8" square.

My question is, how do you feel about the idea of only using 12" circles and squares for local matches? Or use the 8" circles but limit their use to the minimum distance for steel?

I would rather practice with smaller plates so when I go to a "big" match I am thinking "wow these plates are huge". Rather than "these are so tiny, I hope I can hit them."

The problem with steel is two fold. Unlike cardboard, even people who have bad vision know when they miss. Second is that many folks seem to think throwing many more unaimed bullets in the general direction of said steel is the cure for the first unaimed shot.

Do your members a favor and force them to aim or see the results in the scores. It will make them better shooters in the long run.

Edited by jmorris

I would rather practice with smaller plates so when I go to a "big" match I am thinking "wow these plates are huge". Rather than "these are so tiny, I hope I can hit them."

Practice, yes. I like to do some practice at distances beyond what I would normally shoot for this very reason. But I'm talking about matches here and that's a different matter.

I have two concerns. One is that newer shooters can get frustrated with small plates. The second is that it can slow people down and that's the last thing we need to do.

The A zone on a target is 6" wide and the C zone is 12" which is probably where USPSA got the dimensions for a square target. And the circles correspond to the popper dimensions. But I think it's the fact that both the paper and popper targets are larger vertically which makes the psychological difference.

Since Karl has a supply of 8" circles already made, perhaps the best bet would be to just get a couple of these and give them a try. I actually think that for many people 8" squares would be easier to hit than circles the same size however. I'm kind of liking the idea of 10" squares at 10-15 yds.

And if you thing farther is better, then you can just stand at the shooting box and shoot. Hhhhmmm... that gives me an idea!!!

One is that newer shooters can get frustrated with small plates. The second is that it can slow people down and that's the last thing we need to do.

That was kind of my point. If they can't get good hits at speed they need to learn to slow down in order to get them. You get a bunch of guys that are used to 12" plates at 10 yards and throw in a TX star, they are going freak out. I would rather them be so used to challenges...well they are not a challenge.

Buying a variety of steel plate sizes and shapes, not just the 8" circles or 12" squares, will allow greater flexibility in stage design.

Not many enjoy shooing "aspirins" at 35 yards, but stages that offer a steady diet of 12" squares at 9 yards cheat the development of necessary shooting skills.

Not many enjoy shooing "aspirins" at 35 yards, but stages that offer a steady diet of 12" squares at 9 yards cheat the development of necessary shooting skills.

Agreed. We usually put steel around 9 - 10 yds. I certainly wouldn't want to put a 6" square any further than that but I would a 12" square.

It might be that a couple 8" circles and 10" or 12" squares might be the most versatile mix. I don't want to get carried away and put plates on every stage so 4 plates would pretty much do it.

We have a mini-popper that was donated. It is half the size of the US popper (the small one). I've nicknamed our mini the "pecker popper" and it regularly appears in my matches, usually at the beginning or end of a hoser stage. I do like the occasional stage that suddenly switches gears from full throttle blasting to careful, aimed fire.