Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting cone comp

marksr

Whats the best way to open end of slide to fit cone comp I do not own a mill. Is there a reamer I can buy and where can I order it from. Is there an easy way to cut 1 degree angle with out using mill on slide. Thanks Mark

The only thing you do to the slide is to make sure it is clean and smooth inside, no dents or gouges, clean it up a little with a sanding roll if needed.

The cone is fitted to the slide not the other way round. At least if you're talking about a 1911 style. There is a lot more to fitting a cone or bull barrel and compensator than it looks. If you are not experienced with this it might be better to pay a good gunsmith to fit it correctly for you.

The one degree cut can be done with a flat file but it's much easier and precise to do it on a mill. I've done them by hand in the past, it takes a lot of patience and try and fit, but a good job can be done. Now I fit the barrel and then measure the angle the barrel is running and cut the end of the slide on the mill to that angle. It's not always 1 degree.

Edited by Ross Carter