Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What the heck just happened?

waktasz

I was shooting at a local practice match today and had an interesting issue. I heard what I definitely thought was a squib. Just a pfft and no recoil. When I racked the slide to eject the case and check the chamber a live round came out...but it had no primer. There was definitely powder in it too.

What the heck went poof? And since I heard a poof, why didn't the powder ignite? And where did the primer go??

When I first started loading for my Glk 27 I had a similar issue, I was loading 180grhp-xtp @ 1.135 using mixed brass.. I was shooting and my lastfew2 rounds acted up. 2 rounds chambered but shortened my c.o.l 1.118, I pulled em got the t crimp dialed in and re used the brass and remembered they was federal and they did cycle but the last round made a thud followed by a wired cycle found the bullet a few yarda and the primer (cci) was in my mag! I too said wtf!

Edited by MARKAVELI

A similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago.

I discovered I had a bunch of factory primed W-W .38 Super cases so I loaded them up with a minor load (around 150 pf) because the factory primers were just standard pistol and would flatten and maybe flow under major pf. Hardly looked at the cases prior to or after loading since they were brand new.

Was messing with a plate rack - bang, bang, bang, pffft….and a little puff of smoke came out of the gap between the ejector and slide (1911 type gun). Round comes out whole (got the rod and checked for a squib just in case), and saw what I thought to be a hole in the primer. I wasn’t sure what that was about but kept the round for later. Same thing happened again later. I pulled the rounds to make sure there was powder in the cases, and there was. Closer examination found that the primers were pressed in sideways and didn’t present the ignition source to the powder which didn’t ignite (thankfully!). What I at first thought was a hole in the primer was in reality a gap between the primer and primer pocket wall in the cases. This was a first for me.

Maybe your primer was sideways and fell out during racking?

I took some pics of the cases with the sideways primers if anyone is interested.

Here's one possible explanation from a friend of mine

the primer wasnt seated then, and when the firing pin hit it, it penetrated the primer getting stuck on the firing pin...when you racked the slide back firing pin popped off the pin and you didnt see it come out of the gun

since it wasnt in the case the ignition effect wasnt contained in the flashole(little hole between case and primer pocket

of course i could be wrong but it seems like the only logical explanation

if you couldnt hear the pop id say there was no primer but there was a distinct psstp

Hmmm....After watching your video , now you got me thinking about my primers(Fed SP) with my G35. This past Sunday I had the exact same thing happened to me at a match. I ZERO'd a 22rd stage .I stopped shooting thinking it was a squib. Went to the safety area,removed the upper and check'd the barrel. No squib . I was assuming maybe debri got caught in the powder charging funnel station that restricted powder flow , and got a partial charge.

When reloading my ammo, I use all the same brass in a lot. If there's minimal or no resistance while seating the primers, i toss it. Also ,it goes in a 100rd Case-Guard with the primer up. My last inspection would be the primer seating.If i find one thats too high or slightly damaged,it gets to a "practice ammo" case. Having said all that, is the Fed primers to blame?

That was from a lot #5FT614

Another friend suggested it was just in backwards, then got stuck on the firing pin and pulled out when I racked the slide. Like I said this was a practice match so I was using ammo that I skipped the case gauge on so an upside down primer is possible.

I also thought it might be that I seated my primer sideways, and or I didn't make a complete stroke when seating the primer so it might have been not flushed properly when I pushed forward to prime the brass it did feel hard like resistance tho'

Edited by MARKAVELI