Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

4 Rifle Heavy or Light bullets for less recoil?

Religious Shooter

No firm answer here, just trying to clear up some variables.

I would guess that barrel length and a comp would impact felt recoil more.

Minor rifle? USPSA? The new 150 pf makes this less of an issue, but the lighter bullets need to be pushed a little faster in a short (16") barrel to be sure you make minor. So the lighter bullets may recoil sharper in a short barrel.

Limited handguns are usually loaded to make PF with a little margin, regardless of bullet weight or caliber. Does anyone run heavier minor rifle bullets, just barely making minor? Example in .223, 69 grain bullet at 2350 fps? That is roughly the same power factor as a 55 at 2950 fps. Usually, rifle loads with heavier bullets have a higher PF.

Lee

RS,

I load 69's to around 2800 fps. The issue for me is not power factor but overall bullet/rifle performance. PF and 'felt' recoil is pretty far down the list.

The best way I know to fight felt recoil is a good comp, weight of the gun and using JP's LMOS. I've got one now, and it is incredible.

Rich

Hey RS,

Rich is right on the money, the comp takes care of the recoil and the JP LMOS takes care of the bolt carrier cycling impulse (which can be more noticeable than recoil energy in the .223). I shoot the SMK77 at a 204 PF in my JP rifle and there is no recoil or muzzle jump whatsoever because the comp is getting plenty of gas. A poof loaded 55gr load I sometimes use (2950 fps) has more felt recoil impulse than my 77gr load because the muzzle brake isn’t doing as good of a job with it.

--

Regards,

LMOS ?

Tell me more, please.

In my non comped rifle, lighter bullets seem to give less overall movement of the front sight in recoil. But , I get the same result in pistols too, heavy bullets give more flip. Lighter bullets more shove.

Just .o2

Travis F.

LMOS ? Tell me more, please.

The JP Rifles LMOS consists of an alloy bolt carrier, a different recoil spring/buffer and a special hammer to prevent wear on the softer bolt material. When this is combined with an adjustable gas block that allows you to tune the gas down until the bolt carrier isn’t over cycling you get very little rifle bounce from reciprocating mass. Add a muzzle brake remove muzzle flip and any rearward recoil impulse and you basically have a rifle that just sits there while it cycles. It is nto quite a drop-in mod, but it isn’t that big a deal. Check with JP Rifles for more info.

n my non comped rifle, lighter bullets seem to give less overall movement of the front sight in recoil.

That’s about right in an AR without a muzzle brake. The 55gr at 3100fps is only 170 PF, but a 69gr at 2800fps is 193 PF, there is your reason. Add a comp and that difference disappears and might even reverse.

--

Regards,