Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Standard Exercise: Muzzle Control

Skydiver

After all the talk about muzzle over the berm, I had to get this CoF off my chest. It's all about controlling the muzzle on reload, and nothing about over the berm.

post-10187-0-88272800-1326245910_thumb.p

Muzzle Control.pdf

I'll let people debate whether it's a 180 trap or not, and whether shooters should be spoonfed or not. Also, is 5 seconds too generous, or just enough?

Edited by Skydiver

Three seconds is too generous -- by about 2 seconds,give or take a 1/4 second....

Uh, you know that's a draw, a reload and 10 shots, right?

I don't like this one bit. It's a waste of ammo and a bay, and is the very definition of a 180 trap. I wouldn't even bother shooting it if it showed up at a club match.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. Has a strong resemblance to CM 06-03, "Can You Count?", and I suck at that one too. Lots of folks express the same sentiments as DonovanM, though w/o the 180 concerns. See here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36244

Master class runs for Can you count are about 3.5 seconds per string.

Edited by kevin c

Hmm. Has a strong resemblance to CM 06-03, "Can You Count?", and I suck at that one too. Lots of folks express the same sentiments as DonovanM, though w/o the 180 concerns. See here:

http://www.brianenos...showtopic=36244

Master class runs for Can you count are about 3.5 seconds per string.

Yup, I used "Can You Count" as my basis for the stage. At least remembering my mental state whenever I've shot that classifier, it was about being smooth and letting all the past training of draws and reloads just happen naturally with a fraction of conscious thought on counting to five. Now if that same mental state was applied to targets floating near the 180, the disaster factor goes up if the shooter naturally points the gun to 10 o'clock on a normal down range reload. So the shooter now either has get out of that zen state and watch the muzzle, or program in a body twist to stay safely in the 180. My choice of Fixed Time over Virginia Count was to put a bit more mental pressure on the shooter as well.

Thanks for that thread link. It sounds like from that thread that Nik is 5 seconds is too generous. 3 seconds maybe a nice challenge.

I've been told good shooters naturally know where the 180s are and I've deliberately setup a visual cues by the placement of the box and the targets. jriera's suggestion of engaging opposite targets of the arrays is good in that it probably lessens the disaster factor of a 180 break.

I like it, just as I like "Can you count". It's a different challenge to shoot five shots in a row, going as fast as you can literally count, without going over. This is no more of a 180 trap than half the regular stages I've shot at local matches with oblique shots. 5 seconds is fine, and for half the shooters out there, probably too short to get two strings with mandatory reloads drawn from holster.

This is a great Speed Shoot stage.

I like it, just as I like "Can you count". It's a different challenge to shoot five shots in a row, going as fast as you can literally count, without going over. This is no more of a 180 trap than half the regular stages I've shot at local matches with oblique shots. 5 seconds is fine, and for half the shooters out there, probably too short to get two strings with mandatory reloads drawn from holster.

This is a great Speed Shoot stage.

Good suggestion. To make this a legal Speed Shoot, I would make it Virginia Count, with a single string with 4 rounds per paper, a mandatory reload after the first shot, but before the last shot fired.

ETA: I've not put much thought into it yet, but I wonder how fast one has to go to make it worth taking the penalty and not bother reloading.

ETA2: After some time to think about it on a plane flight to Kalifornia, I think for Speed Shoot, I'd set it up to be: Virginia Count, 1 string, 3 rounds per paper, a mandatory reload between array 1 (T1-2) and array 2 (T3-4). It gets rid of the hit factor gaming by skipping the reload.

Edited by Skydiver