Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wearing out a barrel

FishingFool

There's no number anyone can give to answer that question. There are just too many variables in the ammo used and the initial quality of the barrel. When it quits shooting good it's time to go. I would say somewhere between 2,500 and 25,000 rounds.

I've got one that still shoots accurately enough to be competitive, and its at 30000+, its a 2.0 moa rifle with irons, out to 300. The barrel is an Evolution SS 20" that started out as a .936/.750 contour and ended up being .750 from chamber to muzzle. I've had it since I started this damn sport in 2000.

trapr

I was worried about the barrel when I started out too. my first gun & barrel still shoot as good.

The thing that will happen if you are shooting and competing much is that you will evolve in what you want in a rifle. and will change up the setup, having the first gun as a backup or loaner for your friends will work great.

I am on the #3 gun only because what I wanted changed = all three guns still shoot good with #1 having Iron sights on it now

just figure if your shooting it so much that the barrel loses accuracy , Thin you got your monies worth out of it.

Yeah I already went through a few setups but I'm pretty much settled on the configuration. My preliminary ammo budget for rifle looks to be 1k a month between matches and practice. I'm just trying to get a handle on the timeline to make some long range plans and to schedule what big matches I can afford to go to in the next few years.

Sent using Tapatalk