Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Stock

TRG65

I have a 308 that has an HS Precision tactical stock.  In fact here is a link to the stock

http://www.hsprecision.com/images/pst60a.jpg

Problem is the gun weighs in at a lightweight 12.5 lbs.  The current stock is somewhere around 5 1/2 lbs.  I would like to get a sporter style stock that weighs between 1 and 2 lbs.  I talked to the Bansner's and Borden's and both said that their stocks generally weigh about 1.5 lbs after being bedded.  McMillian's website claims 2 - 2 1/4 for their stocks.  I would like to bring the total weight of the gun down to 8 - 8.5lbs

Also while doing some research, I saw a statement that the Aluminimim and Polymer stocks can create stress due to temperature change.  The reason given was that the two materials have different response factors to temperature changes, just as wood does for humidity.  The particular company advocated an all fiberglass stock.

Does anyone have any recommendations for other companies?  Or does anyone have any experience with Bansner's they are who I was leaning too.  I just wasn't thrilled about paying $600 for a new stock and fitting.

I'm in a similar situation, but restocking a Win M70, short action. I love the Rem LTR stock, HS,  its light and well designed, (didn't know about the bedding trouble though) but its not available for the Win.

I have a great stock on my Ruger 300win, by Garrett Accur Lt, but I'm guessing they are out of business.

Which leaves McMillan, and the most suitable for my taste seems to be the Winchester Marksman.

Sorry to hyjack the thread, but thought we were going in the same direction and would also appreciate any advice,

P.D.