Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

E K's Range Diary

E K

30 minutes of dry fire tonight. Tonight's focus was 'core' skills. The last couple of weeks have been crazy busy at work. Tonight I struggled with concentration for the first time. I need to do a better job of disconnecting when things get busy. With that said, my reloads are on FIRE right now. I had been stuck at 5.0 seconds on 6 Reload 6. I dropped .2 seconds off in the last two practices.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour of dry fire today. My focus was movement drills. I continued my focus on getting the WH to the gun just prior to box entry. It is definitely faster. I mixed in a lot of other custom movement drills incorporating reloads as well. I feel my confidence growing. I cant wait to do some training with CK soon.

30 minutes of dry fire tonight. The focus was 'performance' skills tonight. I'm noticing something new with my practices of recent. Normally I have a tense feeling in my arms and shoulders. I've noticed the last couple of practices that has been replaced with a calm. It is a focused and determined calm. I'm constantly talking to myself starting prior to actually shooting. I'm constantly reminding myself 'It is GO TIME!'. Focus and confidence is good.

2/9/12:

I finally got some live fire in last night. I went down to Lexington and shot at the Gun Warehouse. It felt really good to get some live fire action. My focus was awesome. I was explosive and aggressive. I performed well. I'm hoping to get one more live fire practice session in before leaving next Thursday for the Florida Open.

45 minutes of dry fire this morning. Today's focus was 'movement'. I continue to feel small improvements. My explosiveness feels better every day.

I start each practice with some 10-yard sight acquisitions. I've lowered my PAR to 0.7 seconds. I've done enough dry fire now that I can visualize a good grip and draw and know how it feels. I find it helps with consistency; along with a lot of positive talk.

I just received word from Sue @ Techwear that my shirt designs were approved by Smith & Wesson. Now I just have to be patient until they arrive. Ugh.

The shirts look nice! The purple/green combo sure does wake a person up!

Thanks! Nothing too loud for the range.

• 4 months later...

Well I decided it was time to knock the dust off the old range diary. It's been a busy year of shooting. I shot the Florida Open in February. If you've never been to Frostproof get your tickets now. It doesn't get much nicer. Battle of the Bluegrass was in April followed by the Ohio Sectional in May. I was really happy with my performance at Ohio. I took 5th in 'C' Production and 30 something overall. I threw 2 Mikes on stage 7 but was clean outside that. It was brutally hot all weekend but I felt strong the whole match and 100% focused on the task at hand I even made 'B' class as a result of my classifier run.

June brought Area 5. Chris, Colin, Grant, Sarge and I had a great time. The match was very technical. I started out slow as I struggled to get focused. I'm not sure what my issue was because I'd been amped up for a week. A couple stages in and I got into a flow. I need to do a better job with my visual patience and not accept anything but 'A's. I finished 14th 'B' out of 34 and 42nd overall and that includes my stage 9 reshoot (thanks Grant!) that didn't go so well! Lol. 13 stages in a day is huge but I felt strong in the end again!

I haven't been happy with my sights for a long time. I finally broke down and bought a Dawson adjustable rear and new FO front sight from Shooters Connection. I ran to the range at lunch today and sighted it in. Wow what a difference! I can't wait for Oxford on Sunday.

I'm going to crank up my dry fire now. I've really not been very good with that lately and need to get refocused. Indiana Sectional is in August which is right around the corner. Time to get serious and work on that climb to 'A' class.

In late April, early May I made a lifestyle change. In talking with my buddy Grant he mentioned to me a book called 'The Self Health Revolution' and suggested that I read it. He said it would forever change the way you view food. Yeah right!! I picked up a copy and began reading. Just a few pages in and I knew he was correct. The book doesn't really contain anything earth shattering. It is pretty straight forward common sense. It basically says to stay away from processed foods? DUH! The book hit home with me. About the same time I was also looking for something to do to increase my fitness level and put me on pace to my optimum weight level. I was talking with my neighbor when she mentioned the Pilates classes she was taking. I initially dismissed the idea because in my mind Pilates was for women! Boy was I WRONG! I began taking Pilates Reformer classes in early May. I've been going 3 days a week since. For those that aren't familiar with Pilates it is a complete body/mind workout that focuses on your core. I've lost 15 lbs in the 2 months I've been doing it and I've never felt better! It has certainly helped my shooting as well. 13 stages in one 95 degree day? No problem!

I'm looking forward to my first Nationals this year as I was fortunate enough to land a production slot. :cheers:

I'm looking to train my arse off prior to that.

30-40 minutes of dry fire. I focused on sight acquisitions, draws, reloads, SH only, WH only and finished with a lot of transition drills trying to focus on my eye snap. It felt good to get back in the swing of things and knock off some dry fire rust.