Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

E K's Range Diary

E K

I took a class recently and one of the ideas for a WH draw was to grab the bottom of the grip with your strong hands first 2 fingers, which gives you room to get your WH onto the grip. I have been trying it in dry fire and it seem to work fairly well for me.

Russell,

thanks for the tip. I will keep that in mind if my approach doesn't work out. Hopefully I never throw my gun finding out!

I was taught this last year when i was still shooting my Glock. It is not that easy to do with a production gun. Now that I am running a mag well it is very easy to grab the well with a couple of fingers and still have positive control of the gun.

I'm really liking my current approach.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1/7/12:

I was only able to accomplish 35 minutes of dry fire today. I focused on core drills. Too many family activities to accomplish more. I'm finding it is much easier to do my dry fire when everyone is sleeping or already off to school. Once everyone is up the distractions are too many.

I spent the better part of the afternoon helping my boys build a fort for the woods. We had a blast!

I managed to work in 1.5 hours of dry fire tonight wrapped around dinner. I spent the majority of my work on movement drills. I'm really liking my basement setup. I've thought of a couple more target locations to expand upon my drills. I will be running mini stages before too long!

I learned something tonight with the barricade drill. I was originally drawing at the Beep and then leaning. I figured why not start my lean on the Beep and draw simultaneously? DUH! I picked up .2 seconds by doing this. This is the kind of stuff that really fuels my training!

I also tweaked my swinger and have it operating nicely. I spent some time working it into my drills as well.

I spent the end of my practice working on wide transitions from plate to target and vice versa. I worked on drawing to the head and a wide transition to a plate and then a transition to a head. My 'head shot' confidence is growing by the day. I also started visualizing the drill prior to shooting it. I even tried to visualize leading with my eyes. I really liked the results. I will continue this in practice.

I need to build some 'no shoot' stands so i can incorporate 'no shoots' into my drills as well.

I made it to the range late this afternoon. I only managed about 45 minutes but really wanted to get some live fire in as I haven't had the opportunity since I began my new dry fire routine. The sun was going down quickly so the visibility was really rough. I compounded that by losing my FO sight when I first fired the gun!

My range time was very simple. Draw, fire 2. I rotated between 10 and 15 yards and low/upper A. I was very happy with my early returns. I was seeing the sights well and my shots were 90% A. This is a big gain in accuracy for me. The 10% that went 'A' were just wide.

It was nice to see that my dry fire is paying dividends. It is time to crank it up even more!

I did 1 hour of dry fire tonight and continued my focus on movement drills. I need to stop by shooters connection next week and pick up a new box of targets so I can continue expanding my dry fire routines. The more I do this the more ideas I come up with for mixing things up. Now if I can just convince my wife to remove all furniture!

45 minutes of dry fire tonight. I continue to hammer the movement drills. I think I'm doing well at keeping the gun high when moving. I still have a lot of work to do though with shooting on the move. I again spent the end of practice focusing on wide transitions, transitions to/from head and to/ from plates. My wall and barricade drills are going very well. I'm visualizing the head shot prior to the beep. I'm really liking this visualization stuff!

I started my kettle bell work out this week. 3 days a week, 20 minutes each day. I did 'resistance' today It doesn't sound like a lot but it is kicking my arse right now. It is a really good full body workout. Im really enjoying the workout. It is a 6 week design that will take me right up to the Florida Open.

I did 45 minutes of dry fire tonight. I focused on core drills tonight. I was seeing my sights really well even though i was firing without my FO front sight. I'm trying to really incorporate visualization into my practice routine. I really like the early returns. I'm also really concentrating on leading with my eyes. I still find myself following with my eyes a lot. I need to continue working on this.

I'm looking forward to shooting the Miamisburg match tomorrow. I need some live fire practice. My goal for tomorrow is to see my sights for all my shots. Damn it is going to be cold.

50 minutes of dry fire today. I worked on Movement drills today. I've painted hard cover on some new targets and added them to my current array of targets. I've also purchased some 1/4 scale targets (poppers included) from C&M Targets. This will allow me to work on some greater practice lengths. Currently the longest I can do is 15 yards. I've also incorporated some hard cover into my wall & barricade drills. I continue to concentrate on my visualization and eye 'snap' as a part of my practice. I can see it helping.

1 hour of dry fire tonight. I spent some time yesterday putting together some hard cover targets. I incorporated them into my drills today. I worked on wide transitions, no shoot (hard cover) draws, focus change, plate rack runs & table draws. All drills were performed with hard cover targets.

Yesterday and today I tried a new approach to practice. I normally take 10-15 minutes to find a groove. I told myself the last two days that I couldn't afford to wait that long to find my groove. I needed to find that groove immediately. The increased focus worked both times. I am going to try it again when I practice at 6am to see if I get the same results.

I continue to focus on my visualization and eye snap. It is a work in progress but I'm seeing improvement.

Tonight was the first time I've ever really practiced table draws with a focus on technique. My original draw and sight acquisition times were 1.7 seconds. It wasn't good. I switched things up and started grabbing the gun with my SH thumb over the top of the rear sight (similar to my WH draw/transition). I immediately reduced my times to a consistent 1.2 seconds. :sight:

I'm cranking up the difficulty of my practices. Head shots and cover.

50 minutes of dry fire this morning. I concentrated on my 'core' drills this morning. I continue to do really well with my little pep talk prior to getting started. I tell myself I don't have time to warmup. I must perform out of the box. It is really working! My focus is right where I need it from the very first draw. I continue to work my hard cover into my drills and continue working on my head shots. My confidence is really growing. Time to keep cranking up the difficulty.

I finished up practice with more transitions and continued to focus on visualization and snapping my eyes.

My 1/4 scale targets and poppers arrived from C&M Targets today. Ive started deploying them as well and will begin incorporating them into my drills tomorrow.

Although not on yer level, I have drank the kool aid and started dry firing. Walking after work also. Thanks. You have actually helped me get on board.

Dave,

That is awesome! Glad to hear. I struggled with getting excited about it all of last year. It wasn't until I spent some time with Steve Anderson that I developed a focus and plan. Let me know if I can help in any way. Keep it up.

55 minutes of dry fire tonight. My focus was 'movement' tonight. I mixed in some variety tonight. I worked on shooting as I retreat. I need to spend more time on that moving forward. Concentration was tough tonight. All the kids running in and out of the basement made for tough concentration. I persevered though and kept pushing on until I hit a rhythm. I started mixing in my quarter scale targets tonight. I mixed in the poppers as well. I incorporated these into my wall drills. I was happy with the early returns.

I finished my practice with more transitions even mixing in reloads. I was really pushing my eye snap and times on these drills I.e draw to a head, transition to a body, then hard cover target, reload and finish on a head. I was nailing the reloads and getting back on target really well.

My new Tungsten guide rod and 13# ISMI recoil spring arrived today from SSS. I can't wait to throw it in and get over to the range and try it out. I ordered some new FO as well. Too small! Ugh. I guess I need to bug DJ again! :roflol:

50 minutes of dry fire this morning. I focused on what I call my 'performance' drills this morning. Wide transitions, focus change, drawing to cover/ no shoots, table draws, etc. My drills are rarely with a plain target anymore. I deployed some additional 1/4 scale targets and I continue mixing them into my routine. I hope to go to the range for some live fire tomorrow with Sarge. Let's hope this ice is gone by then!

I'm trying to get my video recorder fixed so I can video some of my practices and post them.

Any comments and or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I began reading the Talent Code last night. Very interesting read so far. I think the deep practice they are referring to in the book is very similar to dry fire. I can't wait to get a little deeper.

1/22: tore my gun completely apart today, cleaned it and put my tungsten guide rod and 13# recoil spring in. I hope to make it to the indoor range on Tuesday to try it out.

40 minutes dry fire today. I focused on 'core' drills today. I'm really liking the pep talk prior to getting started. Really helps my focus and is no longer taking me 10 minutes to get warmed up. The nervous anticipation of the draw is gone and has been replaced with a quiet confidence.

I struggled a little bit with my sight index early. I wonder if the new tungsten guide rod may be affecting it?

I finished up my practice with some more transitions.

1 hour of live fire today. Damn it was cold! Didn't shoot a lot of rounds. Focused on some movement drills. I was happy with the results. I have to get my FO sight back in. It is tough shooting with no front sight!

Today was my first live fire test with the new tungsten guide rod and 13# ISMI recoil spring. I tested it with my 147gr AA&A and some 124gr MG that I am testing out. No issues whatsoever. The 124gr actually felt softer for some strange reason! Maybe it was the frozen hands! :roflol:

Well it has been a difficult week to get in my dry fire due to work and family obligations. I've felt really guilty too! I finally managed 1-hour & 15-minutes this morning. I installed my new FO front sight (thanks GK!) and it was surely nice to no longer be searching for my front sight. It just 'snapped' right into my vision!

It was an interesting practice. I spent the first part of practice focusing on my 'core' skills. My index was feeling really good this morning. I'm thinking the 2 weeks of dry fire with no front sight may have helped with that?! My Burkett Reloads seem to have hit another level. I also incorporated some full reloads and a re-acquisition of the target following the reload. They felt awesome! I'm thinking my little unwanted break may have actually helped. Hmmm. 6 Reload 6 was the best yet.

I struggled with El Prez today. It was very sloppy. I was having trouble acquiring my target quickly. Nothing felt right. I finally had to just move on. After thinking about it further I think I was rushing my turn and not doing a good job of snapping the head.

6 Reload Weak: I haven't been happy with this drill from the beginning. It just hasn't felt comfortable from Day 1 and I haven't noticed much improvement if any. My problem is the gun transition from SH to WH. With that said, I set out to rebuild my technique.

What I've come up with is as I drop the mag and my WH grabs the new magazine, my SH thumb moves to the top of the rear sight (similar to my draw for a WH Index)so that I 'clear' the whole left side of the gun. Once I insert the magazine there is plenty of room for my WH transition. I think it is going to be good. I'm not focusing on time right now. My focus is deep practice right now to further the technique.

I spent the last 30 minutes of practice focusing on movement drills. I did a number of side to side drills. I then mixed it up and created some different custom movement drills. Draw & fire 2 shots from 15 yards. Run to about 7 yards, fire 2 shots, reload and acquire (3) 1/4 scale poppers and (2) 1/4 scale targets in the closet.

It felt good to get back in the groove.

40 minutes of dry fire tonight. I focused on my 'performance' skills tonight. A lot of transitions, focus changes, table draws and no shoot setups. All of these drills were performed with 1/4 scale targets. I learned something new with my no shoot setups. I've been doing really well at keeping the gun high. What I noticed tonight though was that I was waiting until after I entered the box before actually moving my WH to the gun. This resulted in taking much longer to acquire my sights once in the box. Tonight I gave it a little extra thought and decided to move my WH to the gun just prior to box entry. I noticed my sight acquisition speed seemed to improve. I will have to continue experimenting with this to see if I can create some consistency.

I need some live fire but my work schedule isn't permitting that right now. The Florida Open is fast approaching. I definitely would like to shoot a couple of times prior to that and I'm running out of time.