Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Action Pistol improves...

Yesterday, I switched recoil springs in the SV to shoot Major USPSA loads again after shooting nothing but Minor Action Pistol loads for almost 2 months. Actually, almost 99% of my shooting in the past 60 days has been committed to Action Pistol.

Anyway, I set up an array of 4 targets with Rhino and was doing basically a 2 shot each, reload, 2 shot each kinda thing. After about my 2nd or 3rd barrage, he (Rhino) said "are you seeing your sights or are you just pulling the trigger?" Man, was I seeing it!!!. I haven't been that intune with my sights in a long time, maybe forever?. Shot calling was simple. I called all of my D hits and even the one or two misses very clearly when I was trying to see if my eyes could keep up in hyper-drive.

Very cool. All that time of staring at the front sight in the "slow" fire world of Action Pistol is really helping my other shooting.

He's like a crack dealer! The first taste is free ...

It was interesting being present for his epiphany, though. I was shooting a couple of bill drills, but making sure to see my front sight every time. Then I heard him capping rounds at a rapid pace next to me, and I saw he had good hit too. I was impressed that he could see his sights at that cadence.

Shooting groups at 25 and 50 yards to practice for NRA AP has really improved my accuracy, but I've not seen any improvement in being able to see the sights at a faster pace yet. But it's almost trivial for me to get all of my shots in the A zone of an IPSC classic target at 25 yards as fast as I can see the front sight now, and I can get all of my hits on paper at 50.

Rhino - just try pulling off a quick double and watch what your sights do. It sounds simple and it is. I've been doing some thinking about how I go about shooting, and I believe that in many cases, I am making things more difficult than need be. Yesterday was more about "let's see what happens (no pun intended)". I didn't expect much, I just wanted to shoot a good cadence and move the gun. I ended up seeing a lot. :)

And yes...the first taste is free. ;)