Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Affiliation

jk_nh

Quick question on affiliating our club w/ IDPA.

Our club is exploring affiliating itself with IDPA for the next season. We are holding a planning session next weekend.

I thought I read somewhere that IDPA affiliated clubs must hold a classifier every year and must hold a minimum

Number of matches every year.

Is this true, or is it an urban legend? I ask because two clubs within a 90 minute drive hold classifiers every April.

I'm hoping that we can affiliate but not hold classifieds bit am not really sure what IDPA as an organization requires

Of clubs.

Any insight is appreciated..

Thank you,

From the rulebook page 57...

Requirements for club affiliation.

1. Match director/club contact personnel must be current IDPA

members.

2. Match director/club contact personnel must be certified

IDPA safety officers.

3. Club matches and facilities must be open to all IDPA

members.

4. Clubs must run the IDPA Classification Match as one of

their monthly matches at least once each year. IDPA HQ

suggests that the classifier be shot as soon as possible and be

available to classify new shooters four (4) times a year.

5. Clubs must agree to hold a minimum of six (6) IDPA

matches per year.

6. At club level events, competitors may shoot in all divisions.

7. Club facilities must be large enough to accommodate the

IDPA classifier (See image located after Appendix SEVEN

Classification Match-C, Stage Three-Note).

8. Clubs must follow IDPA rules and principles.

9. Clubs must make sure the competitors have the benefit of the

doubt in all questionable circumstances.

10. Most importantly--Have fun!

Chad

You'll like a quote from a match director. I was looking over one of the COF's for a match and shaking my head while looking at the match director, he said " I know, I know. I have to put on 6 IDPA matches a year, this ain't one of them." :sight:

Chad

You'll like a quote from a match director. I was looking over one of the COF's for a match and shaking my head while looking at the match director, he said " I know, I know. I have to put on 6 IDPA matches a year, this ain't one of them." :sight:

That's a Bogus answer. If the match is advertised as an IDPA match, the stages should be legal, otherwise call it a fun match but don't use the term IDPA.

From the rulebook page 57...

Requirements for club affiliation.

1. Match director/club contact personnel must be current IDPA

members.

2. Match director/club contact personnel must be certified

IDPA safety officers.

3. Club matches and facilities must be open to all IDPA

members.

4. Clubs must run the IDPA Classification Match as one of

their monthly matches at least once each year. IDPA HQ

suggests that the classifier be shot as soon as possible and be

available to classify new shooters four (4) times a year.

5. Clubs must agree to hold a minimum of six (6) IDPA

matches per year.

6. At club level events, competitors may shoot in all divisions.

7. Club facilities must be large enough to accommodate the

IDPA classifier (See image located after Appendix SEVEN

Classification Match-C, Stage Three-Note).

8. Clubs must follow IDPA rules and principles.

9. Clubs must make sure the competitors have the benefit of the

doubt in all questionable circumstances.

10. Most importantly--Have fun!

See the above. Rules are not optional. Anyone who thinks they are shouldn't be involved with the sport.

My club does not shoot the classifier as a match, but we do offer it as a "side match" every month. People may shoot the classifier before or after their actual match. We also offer it by special request nearly anytime during the season. Just ask the MD and, if we have the man power, we will run you and a few of your buddies anytime that it works for all of our schedules.

My club does not shoot the classifier as a match, but we do offer it as a "side match" every month. People may shoot the classifier before or after their actual match. We also offer it by special request nearly anytime during the season. Just ask the MD and, if we have the man power, we will run you and a few of your buddies anytime that it works for all of our schedules.

Chad

That's a Bogus answer. If the match is advertised as an IDPA match, the stages should be legal, otherwise call it a fun match but don't use the term IDPA.

IDPA is IDPA is IDPA. We get excuses like this from MDs sometimes and the root cause is either lack of knowledge of the MD or just plain laziness. I agree with Steve if you say it is an IDPA match you should have IDPA stages that meet the criteria of the CoF section of the rule book.

I ask because two clubs within a 90 minute drive hold classifiers every April.

I'm hoping that we can affiliate but not hold classifieds bit am not really sure what IDPA as an organization requires

Of clubs.

Any insight is appreciated..

Thank you,

Once you start having matches you will realize that you will have a base of shooters who want to shoot your match, but don't want to and won't drive even 30 minutes to shoot with another club. You need to have classifiers for YOUR shooters. It's one of your first responsibilities as a new IDPA club to get your new shooters classified, that and to build a base of knowledgeable and skilled Safety Officers. I dare say one classifier a year is not nearly enough if your matches are popular. A club that shys away from having classifiers will end up with a large percentage of unclassified shooters in their results. That's bad. Ideally only your new shooters should be unclassified. Having classifiers is also an easy way to monitor IDPA membership which as you should know is required.

But seriously, the rule book is available online at www.idpa.com It's short with big print. All this info is in it. ;)

Edited by Steve J

Gotta agree with the above post.... And you Need more than one a year to keep the new shooters classified and the others in the Class they SHOULD be shooting in.

Once you get the routine down it does not take that long to do the Classifier.

Yep, true. Most shooters want to be accurately classified.... throughout the year. Many people that get into the sport start off at say a MM... if they work reasonably hard they can get up to Expert of even Master by end of year in some cases. No one wants to compete as a MM when they are really shooting a couple classes better... or at least they shouldn't want to!!

LIke others- we try to do classifiers once a year as a formal match or at least as part of a match. We often do many others on a much smaller scale as needed or requested. LIke folks have said- they are VERY easy to run.

IDPA's rules can be challenging... and as such- coming up with exciting/challenging stages can be some work but it can be done. Sometimes we all over look the obvious and sometimes it doesn't pop up until mid match.... but you should always try to adhere to the rules....