Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transition between guns...

Shadyscott999

I recently started shooting in Steel Challenge using a 22/45 with a Burris Fast Fire. My problem is, it is wreaking havoc when I go back to my IDPA/USPSA gun which is a Glock 22 with irons.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work? I am sure it is a combination of grip angle difference and optic vs. iron.

I recently started shooting in Steel Challenge using a 22/45 with a Burris Fast Fire. My problem is, it is wreaking havoc when I go back to my IDPA/USPSA gun which is a Glock 22 with irons.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work? I am sure it is a combination of grip angle difference and optic vs. iron.

When you say "wreaking havoc", what exactly is that? Is it that you can find the front sight or can't find the dot, is one easier than the other? Where do you shoot at?

My guess would be that it's a combination of the things you mentioned. I shot the Steel Nationals a few years back with a 1911 open gun and a S&W 22A with a Tasco 2000 on top. I had a hell of a time finding the dot on the 22 because of the grip angle being so different from the 1911. You'll probably do your best with the gun that you shoot the most, because of "muscle memory".

I found that by practicing with the 22A a bit that it pointed much higher than the 1911 because of the grip angle, so every time I came up on the targets I had to almost feel as if I was pointing it at the ground (in comparison to the 1911) to find the dot. I'd just "break" my wrists down a bit to get things aligned with the sight picture I needed and go from there.

Also, dot size and optic size are important as well. A small optic window and/or a small dot don't work very well in this game. You might want to get some irons on the GLOCK that give you a lot of light on either side of the front sight to get more speed out of it. Most of the shots are really close on larger targets by most standards compared to say Bianchi Cup distances. Just start out slowly and spend some time with the gun that's giving you the most problems. I figure it's the one you don't shoot as much as the other, so that will help.

And welcome to the forums and the game!!

Alan~^~

Edited by Alan550

I shoot both games with 1911 style guns. I run SS in USPSA, will be shooting a 2011 in 3 gun and some matches, built a Wilson 22 1911 for iron rimfire SC and have a ruger 22/45 I'm building for open rimfire. This means same grip angle, same trigger, same safety, etc. I might even get rid of that ruger in favor of a different (fully 1911) set up.

I also carry a 1911 and keep one next to the bed. what can I say, I like the consistency and don't like change in my old age (28) :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

We shoot rimfire steel with Buck Marks, and I also shoot a XDM 9mm open gun. We had different red dots on the guns. I switched the 22's to C-More optics like on the 9mm and it really helped.

I found that having the same sights on all the guns made a difference.

Edited by Bansheex