Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ed Brown 8 pack base plate

plsexton

Anybody having problems with the Ed brown 45 cal 8 pack magazine base plates breaking? Had one break during a IDPA match blew spring out the bottom. I called their customer service and they said they didn't have any problems with them so I bought two replacement baseplates. When I got them they had changed the magazine design from a slot on bottom to hold the base plate to one like the chip mccormmick mags. Called Customer Service back and asked them if they weren't having any problems why did they change the design? Had to buy the older style baseplates, customer service not much help, I think these will get sold at the next gun show. thanks in advance.

It can happen with any magazine base plate. Frames are no longer all milspec. Magazine tube lengths and pads are certainly no longer milspec. You have to tune to your gun if necessary. Insert slowly until they lock into place. Notice if the front of the base plate / pad contacts the bottom front of the frame before the magazine locks into place. If it does, and I've had it happen with a lot of high end magazines (McCormicks & Wilsons), then it's flexing and will eventually break. Not always catastrophically though.

That's one possibility to check anyway. Without seeing the actual broken parts in person I can only speculate.