Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mosberg 930 issue

telecat

I completely tore it down to clean it today and even removed the spring ..... now I can't get it compressed to re assemble it.

Tomorrow I will make a bolt / washers compression rig for the spring like shown earlier in this thread but for now I am stuck un assembled.

Joe, I see a little wear on the mag tube but nothing major or alarming.

One last question, there are 3 pieces that include the threaded cap, spring and a spacer.

Does the spring sit against the angled side of the spacer or the flat side?

I inserted the spacer flat side down so that the spring sits on the angled side of the spacer is that correct?

One last question, there are 3 pieces that include the threaded cap, spring and a spacer.

Does the spring sit against the angled side of the spacer or the flat side?

I inserted the spacer flat side down so that the spring sits on the angled side of the spacer is that correct?

90% sure flat side towards the spring.

You sould be able to see the contact patch on the spring if you haven't cleaned it. Both ends of the spring should have flat clean areas where the ring and retainer made contact.

See post #22 for a simple spring compressor I made to install the spring.

Just tighten untill the retainer threads touch, then turn the retainer 1/4-1/2 turn, snug the compressor and repeat.

You might want to wait for Benny to confirm the ring orientation before installing.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

David, thank you. I did not know that I shouldn't remove the spring so when I unscrewed the cap all 3 pieces went flying and now I am guessing as to where the spacer goes and what it's oreantation should be towards the spring.

I couldn't find a diagram for the parts breakdown anywhere.

I think I will take a picture of how I have it and see if someone can confirm that it is correct or incorrect.

I couldn't find a diagram for the parts breakdown anywhere.

I think I will take a picture of how I have it and see if someone can confirm that it is correct or incorrect.

I'm in the same boat as you but looking at the wear/shiny spots on my spring I am guessing that the taper goes away from the spring.

I could not find a parts breakdown either.

I will most likely shoot a few rounds over the next few days and see if it functions as before.

Be sure to post what you find out.

Thanks,

Benny may post again to let us know for sure which way it goes in.

David E.

My link

Looks like we are not the first to struggle with this.

Take a look at the two pictures at the bottom of this link.

I remember now that when looking through the port you can see the spring to ring contact and there is definity not a taper visible through the port.

What's up with the gold spring in the photo?

David E.

• 2 weeks later...

My 930 is back together and running 100% again, it was a dirty piston assembly.

Mine ran about 500rds before having an issue. I thought I was cleaning it good but I did not know about the piston assembly / rings so I never took that apart or cleaned it.

Thanks to all who gave their input and for those with 930's, watch that video and clean those piston parts but DO NOT remove the screw cap that holds the heavy recoil spring!

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow up on my 930 problem...

I sent it back to Mossberg at the end of December. It arrived back today. The packing slip/invoice didn't really say anything as to what they did. from what I can tell, they definitely replaced the barrel with a new 24" non ported barrel with fiber optic front and rear sights. Looks like a new factory Mag tube but it had some scratches on it so I'm not sure what all that is about. It was shipped in a new box with a new manual and goodies, 3 choke tubes (Full, Mod and IC) no turkey choke and a choke tube wrench. Oh, they also put in the little screws on top of the receiver from where I took the rail off. Nice touch! Took it to the range and it ran perfect for the box of 25 that I had on hand. No issues. It patterned point of aim, point of impact so no issues there.

So far so good!!! Now while I was waiting for the gun, my new Briley extended mag tube came so now I get to introduce a whole new set of issues trying to get that to run...

Anybody use a Briley tube?? :-)

• 8 years later...

Hey guys I wanted to let ya know I was having the exact issues and literally replaced all the necessary replacement parts right down to the firing pin.

Here is my list of parts I replaced for your own files if ya need to know part numbers etc.

Mossberg 930 parts

• 16927 firing pin
  • 16882BL Return Spring Plunger, Blued
  • 5885 Firing Pin Spring
  • 16883 Return Spring Retainer
  • 16885BL Return Spring Pin, Blued
  • 16772 Forearm Retainer
  • 16862 Gas System Return Spring
  • 16801BN Pro-Series Gas Piston Assembly, Boron Nitride Finish
  • 14980 Extractor
  • 16858 Pusher Assembly
  • 5886 extractor spring

I replaced & test fired all those parts except for the part#16801BN Pro-Series Gas Piston because I actually forgot to till I put everything back together for test firing.

but after firing nothing freaking changed.

So of course I got a bit pissed off because what else could it be I was thinking… and then said “well” the only thing left is that part noted above the gas piston.

Its very easy to replace and so I removed and cleaned inside of where it fits and gently oiled the spring on the other end.

I then again put all back together to test fire it again thinking seriously how can this be the issue.

Well guys… it was the freaking issue all along and I have my awesome baby back the mossberg 930.

Im so glad I have my awesome gun back working again and I hope this posting helps many of you having this issue be able to promptly solve it with out buying all the parts I did.

However for the little cost for all the parts for this shotgun was worth it as now it’s like new again and ready to literally shoot a massive amount of rounds through it again as its my goto shotgun for bird hunting.

Hope this helps & be safe and happy hunting.

A243CE84-7EA0-4532-9358-000331122C31.jpeg

Edited by Badbird99
Spelling and added a photo