Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy upgrades

asphirosis

Accuracy is always a funny term in this field because it has so little to do with equipment itself, compared to the control and focus of the shooter. However, taking the human element out of the equation (as if it was fired by a robot), I can only come up with a few things that can improve the accuracy of the witness pistols:

1) Henning's titefit slide stop pin (thicker pin to ensure a tighter barrel-to-slide lockup).

2) A replacement barrel (one that is both rated as "match grade" and has polygonal rifling).

3) Using the cone shaped barrel-to-slide linkup - like the Limited has (as opposed to the straight barrel like the Match).

4) A good slide to frame match-up (which Tanfoglio usually does extremely well to begin with).

5) Finding the right ammo that your particular pistol likes.

Anything else I'm missing here? Anyone?

Note... I'm excluding things like: better grips, trigger job, lightened springs, etc. because that's a preference thing that depends on the person.

From what I've seen with the Tanfoglio Elite series of pistols, the things you listed above are just incremental improvements. Too me, these guns are accurate out of the box and don't need much tweaking for accuracy. It maybe that I've just been lucky with the pistols I've bought, but with the pistols out of the box, and shot benched, I've had them easily shooting out an 1" wide hole at 50 ft without me paying too close attention to the sights. Of course, I haven't tried any of the non-Elite series guns, which may have bigger tolerances.

Oh yeah, thinking about this some more, there is one single thing that will improve the accuracy of Tanfoglio pistols... better sights. The newer Novak style rear sights suck, and the old Bomar style rear sights have a tendency to lose parts. Both old and new adjustable sights don't feel "stable" when you can use finger pressure the shift them left and right, but they seem to function well enough to consistently go back into the correct place after putting on the finger pressure. The stock front sight seems just a bit to short and fat for the corresponding rear sight notch.

Thankfully, Henning (and now Dawson?) makes front sights. There are also now replacement fixed rear sights made by Henning. I wish that Henning's other project for adjustable rear sights gets dusted off and goes back in the works again.

Accuracy is always a funny term in this field because it has so little to do with equipment itself, compared to the control and focus of the shooter. However, taking the human element out of the equation (as if it was fired by a robot), I can only come up with a few things that can improve the accuracy of the witness pistols:

1) Henning's titefit slide stop pin (thicker pin to ensure a tighter barrel-to-slide lockup).

2) A replacement barrel (one that is both rated as "match grade" and has polygonal rifling).

3) Using the cone shaped barrel-to-slide linkup - like the Limited has (as opposed to the straight barrel like the Match).

4) A good slide to frame match-up (which Tanfoglio usually does extremely well to begin with).

5) Finding the right ammo that your particular pistol likes.

Anything else I'm missing here? Anyone?

Note... I'm excluding things like: better grips, trigger job, lightened springs, etc. because that's a preference thing that depends on the person.

Honestly my Match shoots a single ragged hole off a rest (with a lands and groove barrel) and even my ultra-crappy non-Elite 3.6" compact shoots good.

Of all those things you mentioned, the ammo will have a big difference. Reloading some rounds with the right bullet can help a lot. And remember the "right" ammo doesn't mean "more expensive". My guns seems to love the Xtreme plated bullets, and we get them cheap. For the rest of the stuff you mentioned, I doubt you could even measure a difference.

Most of the mods people make are for reliability (sights, firing pin), longevity (sears, hammers), speed (magwell, extended mag release), or helping that "human element" out (trigger pull, grips, etc).