Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Impoliteness

spook

Spin off from another thread...

But maybe some people were right in saying that I and some others like Spook were offended too quickly, who knows.

Recently I discovered that I hate impolite people. Probably because I always try to be polite. We've discussed this before in different threads (the one where Bush and Republicans got toasted). I can't help but think that some people on these boards have very thin skin when it comes to "jokes" about their beliefs, but seize any chance to join in on bashing others beliefs.

To me, this is very annoying. Especially when I look at all the stuff I don't do/post to "spare" them. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech. It's all about courtesy. If I say something that is offending to someone here, I apologize. I won't defend it for the sake of freedom of speech.

Another thing I hate about this is the significance people will give to the political discussions here. This is a shooting forum. We can learn stuff from eachother. How very cool! So why are you defending you political views with everything you have to persuade some guy you:

1) have never seen

2) Probably will never see in your entire life

2) will not convince

3) says he is not interested in you views

Even if you "win", do you actually think that it will change the world you live in one bit?

I have never seen positive differences made by political discussion. But meeting a polite person can brighten my entire day.

I'll agree: rudeness is my #1 'anger button' when dealing with people. I have a very slow fuse, and will put up with huge amounts of crap before I get angry or confrontational. But rudeness is one thing I will not tolerate. And the internet seems to bring out the rude in people.

Even if you "win", do you actually think that it will change the world you live in one bit?

*incoming very bad taste joke warning*

Wise man say: Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

;)

- Gabe (who argues on the internet pretty much on a daily basis)

Yeah I know what you mean. I have been a moderator on the dutch IPSC forum (I resigned a few days ago) and over and over again I tried to explain people the difference between politely bringing an opinion across, or just being rude. Alas, somehow there are lots of people who are not capable of understanding that. On forums, but also IRL too.