Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How hard to switch upper reciever

Bsbllrooster

Ok so back in the day before I knew any better I bought a DPMS AR with an A2 upper receiver, the one with the fixed carry handle. I also bought the Cmore scout so that I could still have a red dot that wasn't sitting so high up on the said carry handle. I am thinking of getting into 3 gun but I would rather get a flat top upper receiver and switch it out with my current upper receiver. How hard is this to do? Any specific tools I would need? Would I be better off just selling the rifle as is and use the funds to get a 18" barreled gun? What do you guys think?

Currently the gun looks like this

IMG_0142.jpg

Ok so back in the day before I knew any better I bought a DPMS AR with an A2 upper receiver, the one with the fixed carry handle. I also bought the Cmore scout so that I could still have a red dot that wasn't sitting so high up on the said carry handle. I am thinking of getting into 3 gun but I would rather get a flat top upper receiver and switch it out with my current upper receiver. How hard is this to do? Any specific tools I would need? Would I be better off just selling the rifle as is and use the funds to get a 18" barreled gun? What do you guys think?

IMG_0142.jpg

Just curious, have you ever cleaned this rifle? If so, slide out the rear pin then the forward pin. Pull out the charging handle and bolt carrier group. Install the BCG and charging handle into the new upper receiver, slide onto your lower receiver and push the pins back in.

I see that Stag is offering the complete upper receiver found on their new Stag 3G. As long as your lower is decent, you might want to consider this route.

Bill

I think, maybe, what he is asking is if he can swap the barrel, forearm, bolt carrier group, bolt, and charging handle to a new flat top upper.

At least I think that is what he is asking.

Yeah, that is possible. If you poke around on YouTube, say like did a search on "how to build an AR" you can figure it out from there.

If you shoot USPSA at a local club, you might be able to find somebody who has all the tools and expertise who might be nice enough to show you the ropes...call it a 6 pack and large thick crust pizza job... :cheers:

Another possibility to look into is cutting off the carry handle, milling or file'ing everything smooth and flat and then screwing or bolting a section of picatinny rail to the top. I think GentlemanJim or somebody like that posted they had done that before.

Of course, that total wrecks your AR upper receiver as far as resale value.....balance that with what you could get for selling the complete upper you have now on say AR15.com and then buying a new complete 18 inch barreled flat top receiver . believe it or not there are some guys who are collectors and do get all ga ga eyed over carry handle M16 clones.

the upper swap requires a couple tools ie the receiver block and armorer wrench. It isnt too hard of a job. If you dont have them a smith should be able to swap the pretty quick (might be a good time to get a FF handguard too). You could always build a second upper for the gun as well

IMG_0142.jpg

Switching out an upper reciever is not that difficult if you have some mechanical know how and the proper tools.

You will need a fixture to secure your upper receiver and a wrench that is designed to fit the barrel nut. A hammer and a punch to remove the gas tube roll pin will round out your required tools.

I have pulled and assembled uppers without the upper receiver fixture, but you risk damaging the upper because it is not supported correctly.

If you want to get into 3-gunning, invest in a quality upper assembly and a trigger for your current lower. I would go with an 18" with a rifle or mid length gas system and a good free float handguard. There are several makers that have quality setups that would cost only a little more that you would have to spend to convert your current upper.

I started my foray into competitive 3-gun shooting with a little M4 clone. It served me well and I learned a few things that pointed me in the right direction when it came time for me to upgrade.

Go shoot what you have for a couple of matches and then make an informed decision.

Edited by ShootfastRunfaster

I know how to field strip the gun, I wasn't asking about getting a new upper but rather just changing the upper receiver. However it seems that getting a new upper may be the easiest way to go. Anyone know what a fair price would be on the current upper if I include the Cmore?? Round count is probably around 500-1000