Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Round Flyer

CANDERSEN

I have a problem - building up a new 5" 9mm Caspian; it has a gunsmith fitted Kart Barrel. Testing for accuracy out of my Ransom rest- 10 round groups with ammunition of known quality.

Frequently the first round (chambered from slide lock) will print 3 to 7 inches low and slightly left. The rest of the group will be in a tight cluster 1.5 - 1.75 inches. It only happens with the first round.

I took the gun out of the Ransom and test fired again - same thing the first usually groups way low?

Any thoughts?

Thanks Chris

Many gun mag writers have noted this tendency for fourty years.

Not sure why it is (probably the way it's loaded, as above)

but easy to defeat ...

When I load my carry gun, I fire the first shot, so the first

round in the chamber has been seated by firing it - it should

group with all the other rounds in the mag.

If I'm target shooting, looking for small group sizes, I fire

the first shot into the berm and then start my group.

Good luck,

Jack

Did some more shooting - noted that the first shot flyer does not seem to appears when the gun is freshly cleaned and oiled; but after 2-3 groups it begins. I have tried shooting the gun from slide lock, racking the slide etc, with full magazine or a partially empty one - all with the same results. The first round is way low - either out of the Ransom Rest or hand held from a supported bench. A good average is 4-5 inches low from the other rounds group at 25 yards. The rest of the group is nice and tight.

I have put approximately 120 rounds through the gun testing it and the problem persists - the barrel appears to lock up tight.

I have seen the first shot phenomena before - but not to this extreme.