Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ranger vs. Ranger II

jmbaccolyte

I have a Ranger II, its a Government sized frame with a Commander slide, shoots nice. I ordered it from Dawson and it took a little time to get it, I wanted it with a ambi safety, magwell and a thin fiber optic front sight. STI did the work before they offered any of this as options and it is a great carry pistol. I use a bladetech IWB holster and it disappears when I'm carrying.

I read about the Ranger III, it has a hammer down carry mode when the safety is on, the hammer goes back when you take the safety off. I think I'll stay with the original design that has worked for 100 years.

I'm guessing the Ranger on an officer's frame uses 7 rounders (maybe 8 if .40?)? The Ranger II probably adds a round due to gov't frame...

I've had my Ranger II since Thursday; took 11 weeks to get it from Dawson, and it was worth the wait...it has already consumed 200 rounds of .45, and not one failure to do anything but empty my wallet :rolleyes: - seriously, this gun will eat ammo at an alarming rate!

This thing out shoots me, in a very good way, but I'm catching up quickly. It conceals very well in a DeSantis Intruder, but I'm planning on picking up something like a Galco combat master for owb, too. That and a bunch of mags, and I don't see why you couldn't shoot this competitively, too. The bull barrel allows for some seriously fast follow up, even with the .45

If you are looking for a good carry gun, I think you found one!

The 1st one had an Officer's Model sized frame...

The Ranger II is a primo weapon, I'd really like one

in .40sw...

The Ranger III has some-kinda Fast Hammer gizmo that I don't know,

or don't care enough about to actually read about.

Ooops.. Meant to say the Ranger II is a Commander sized 1911..

I built a Custom Bob-Tail w/ one a few years ago

that was awesome for carry purposes..!

STIRL.jpg

STIRS.jpg

STIRLocked.jpg

We need pics of your gun..! ;)

Edited by gunfixer

guardian just comes in 45 though

Or 9mm, just not .40

I guess there are some great defense ammo for 9mm as a carry gun, but I like carrying a .45 - I can only imagine what goes through someone's mind with that huge barrel pointed squarely at them :surprise: