Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dryfiring with Steves book

Larrys1911

I did the Shoot 6, Reload, and shoot 6 the other afternoon.

In Dryfire I run a 5 sec Par with a G17.

Its not Comfortable and I am at this point pushing a bit, a missed draw or reload or distraction will blow it. but I can get what I think are good consistent sight pics and transtitions. At 4.9 I am not making it. normally dont get the last shot.

Well in Live fire I am running in the high sixes. I was SOing an IDPA stage and when everyone was gone I would practice. :P I only shot it 5 times, 3 after an hour break between each & 2 back to back. I ran a 6.4 something but dropped a -3 and a couple -1s. 4 runs were very close at 6.8, 6.79, 6.74, 6.92 most of that was dropping 2-3 points. The two together were the fastest and slowest.

Draw to sight pic in Dryfire par is .8 @ 10yds

actual shooting I ran several 1 shot draws in the high .9 range which makes sense because I am starting to get the -0.1 par of .7

I want to do this again when I have more time and I can actually play a little. In the DF I run through all the other drills in order getting to this one. My Draws are ON, & reloads down by the time I get there. I wonder if thats part of the time difference.

The other thing is I think my splits are running (again) right at .2s.... .2 x5 reload .2 x5 = 2 seconds HMM almost the exact difference....

But I dont think my reloads were ON today either. Best reload today was a 1.3 something.... Draws were still TOTALLY inconsistant too, anywhere from 1.16 to 1.37 so I still have MUCH work to do on consistency.....

So are any of you running times consistent with your Dry Fire Drills and what have you found to help you get in sync?

Thanks

Larry P

Larry,

GREAT JOB!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I've only half way committed to Steve's program but can say that it is awesome in getting a lot of the bugs worked out. My practice (LF) draws before the book would get down to the .8's and the occasional high .7's w/ match draws around .9-1.0. Now, with doing some of Steve's drills, they are consistently in the .8's and .9's.

Too, it's helped my reloading TREMENDOUSLY. You commit to each individual movement and they are smoother and faster than ever. Before, live fire reloads were around a 1.2. Now there around .9-1.1...and getting faster.

I love it. Keep up the good work!!!

Rich

You guys are doing great!

I got my 6 reload 6 down to 3.4 last night, a new PB!

Larry,

Don't expect the live fire times to be too similar. Push the spped in dry fire, open up the vision in live fire and just shoot.

Who has buillt a paper plate rack?

SA

I built it!

I only have 15 ft room in my basement, thus I built a mini paper plate rack.

I used a 1"x1" wood fillet 1.25m long, and I managed to staple to it 6 2.5" paper plates, equally spaced. It can rest wherever you put it.

It is VERY awkward to sight picture on those tiny plates, at least for me, but it really helps to learn to acquire the right sight picture and call the shots. ;)

I'll try to shoot a pic or two of the mini targets I built for dry firing, if this is what you ask for.

BTW, here you can download the PowerPoint mini targets (50 KB) I have drawn for my dry firing sessions.

You only need to glue them to a solid cardboard sheet and cut them. ;)

Rich,

I havent even half commited yet. Ive been just toying around with it. As I said in the Sale forum, I think this DF alone will make a bigger difference in one WEEK, than the DF & livefire I was doing before the nats last year for 6 months. Im a Nut when I get into it, HOURS a day! Too much to do right now though, shooting has to be a back priority....Of course I could....Stop typing on the internet..... :wacko:

Steve,

Have you figured out a percentage of increase that seems to be an avg or something similar for the more complicated stuff?

How close are your times in LF?

I havent built the plate rack but its coming. I do some woodwork for a living and I built some scaled tgts 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 out of 3/4" plywood with a outside coating that is very close to Buff color. You may have seen Matts!

I also do 4" circles out of 3/8" plywood and Paint them white. Unfortunately I dont have the space for fullsize tgts to do anything but a Draw, so I have to use 1/2.

Those 1/8 scale tgts....THEY will make you concentrate.....

I honestly havent even looked at the Plate Drills yet. There is quite a bit of stuff that will make a bigger difference at matches that I need to work on first, and I am going to focus on that for a while.

Larry P

Larrys1911,

Steve has moved up the ladder a bit. So, I am thinking that his dry-fire and live-fire are getting closer to each other.

I do recall him mentioning, as he was progressing, that his dry-fire times proved quite a bit faaster thatn live. Sounds like you are right where you need to be.

If, however, you find that the gap is too large...then that may mean that you should look into your grip and stance (for controlling recoil). And, you might need to ensure that you are "seeing what you need to see" to KNOW. Knowing allows speed.

Thanks everyone.

I noticed that I am getting better at calling my shots too. I havent done much work at all with this but I seem to be in one of those learning stages where; when I do ANYTHING I learn something. I guess taking 6 months off was a good thing.

I think I am right on the edge of another level of shooting.... MAYBE! ;)

Gonna try to start devoting 30 min a day to it

I improvised a paper plate rack the other day.

I used two hanging steel stands with the steel hanging. It adds stability.

Next I attached two nylon string between the stands.

I used clothesline clips to attach the paper plates at the top and bottom.

It worked pretty well.