Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee dies in a 650

Hi all,

I've been using some lee carbide dies on my Lee turret and they seem to be really nice dies. Now I'm finding that I want to up my production of this caliber (.40) and wanted some input about using these dies on my 650.

General opinions about lee dies quality vs dillon are appreciated.

Don

Thank you for the input. The fact that they are half the price doesn't hurt either. I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish. If they were truly inferior or has some problem when used in the 650, I'd have no problem buying a set of Dillons.

Don

I think Lee makes one of the best sizers made. Great decaping pin that slides out of the way in case it hits a berdan. It's resettable as well. It also sizes lower then many others.

I have had better luck with Lee seating dies then some others. I take the stem out and put it in a drill and polish it. Don't know why, but I do, it seems to make it a little smoother. The lee does need to take a set after adjustment. Just a couple rounds makes a difference. I mark the adjuster with a black mark. Makes it easy to adjust and know how much you have moved it. I really like my lee seating dies (have used hornady and dillon and redding).

I don't use the FCD in any caliber other then 9mm. 9mm is ok. I would get a regular crimp die from lee. $10. I normally buy their 3 die Deluxe set (carbide) and add the crimp die for $10. That gets me the 4 die set at the 4 die set price but no FCD.

I'm guessing that you can't use the powder through expanding die with the dillon powder drop. Is that correct? So you still need to buy the expander from dillon

Don

Yes, the one that comes with the press works fine. If you get multiple toolheads you need a extra die for each toolhead. Well, you could use one and swap it around. Seems like a pita to me.

I have been useing lee for 40 sw and their tamper crimp for other cal. plus at lest one die per cal I have to mount the lock ring on the bottom of the toolhead --pacfic 38 spl and 45acp and maybe 30-06.

I just buy a bag of the Dillon lock rings, which are smaller OD so you have room on top to use the bench wrench. Pull off the Lee lock rings that have the rubber o-ring, put on the Dillons, install as normal.