Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

617 Firing pin

Bosshoss

2 hours ago, Joe4d said:

good night Irene.. infamous barrel over torque  ?  or humm maybe under torque in this case

The barrel is centered on the frame, but the slot for the front sight was milled at a slight angle. I don't shoot that one much, so I never got around to correcting it.

Warren

Made a firing pin today from an old drill bit but it was too soft and bent!

What did work was taking a Powers extended firing and removing the top of the pin at an angle (see drawing).  I also removed the portion at the rear of the pin to ensure that the pin traveled fully going forward. (Drawing not to scale) The OAL of the pin remained the same just had material removed at the angle profile.

The strike impressions on the rim still look circular but are slightly moved inboard. Using Federal bulk haven't had a misfire yet!  First time I could get all 10 rds to fire a couple of times today. That's using your RevUp hammer.  

Should have a few of the Powers firing pins that already have the rear shoulder removed delivered this week.

A very simple mod that looks promising. I can email a pic of the actual firing pin mod it you want tomorrow.

Ed

BTW: I have my OEM main spring fully engaged.

pinmodC.jpg

Edited by Lower40

I can see what it looks like. I'm going to make mine a steeper angle, maybe 10 degrees off of vertical, and leave the back part on. With the back gone, it may batter the firing pin spring enough to make it break (or may not). If this works, then I will send altered ones in the hammer kit to everyone who says it's going in a rimfire.

In theory if the firing pin is relieved as discussed the ding into the cylinder should be reduced or even eliminated when dry firing.

If S&W is the only rimfire revolver with this cylinder ding problem dry firing (not Colt/Ruger) it may indicate a design flaw, the revolver firing pins should strike further inward from the outside perimeter?

Edited by Lower40