Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Casting for 9mm minor.

promod1385

Does anyone cast there own bullets for 9mm? I am looking to build up some 9mm minor for this up coming USPSA season. I have cast lots of .45acp bullets but this is my first foray into 9mm.

Any input is appreciated.

9mm is no harder to cast than .45. I use almost pure WW with just a little solder if the mold isn't filling out nicely.

You REALLY have to slug your barrel and determine what the groove diameter is. Groove diameters can range from 0.355 to 0.362

I shot as-cast and tumble-lubed. I prefer 115gn or 125gn L-SWCs. You may prefer L-RN

Exactly what part of casting for a 9mm has you concerned?

9mm barrels vary widely. You also tend to use a fast powder in mouse fart loads. I cast using a 4 cav Lyman 147 gr, range scrap, water dropped (it's what works for me). 3.2 gr Solo 1000 , 1.080 oal. Bullets weight 156 gr and make 130 PF. I can shoot 2K with out cleaning the barrel. Rest of the gun will be all caked up but the barrel will be fine.

Yes, I am using the LEE 122g TC and the LEE LRN 6 cavity molds, alloy is wheel weights or big Xray cores, sized to .356 and lubed with White Label Carnuba Red. In my guns, the TC bullets perform better than the LRN.

My biggest concern was the fact 9mm is a higher pressure round. I currently use AA#7, its a lower pressure 9mm load that fills up much of the case volume. It also tends to be very clean.

I plan on getting some soft lead fishing sinkers today and using them to slug my barrel. I will order the appropriate Lee sizing gear after I determine what size I need.

Plan on using WW with a bit of solder as mentioned above. I have had good luck with this alloy.

9mm is lower pressure then .357, 357 Sig, 10mm. Nearly every MODERN cartridge. Sure the oldies are lower pressure but it's just not a big deal. Match your alloy hardness to your pressure and it's a non-issue. That is why I water drop. FREE and solves the leading issue I was having. All you do is get a 5 gallon bucket, two towels, lay one towel to make a ramp going to the bottom and covering the bottom, the other towel gets folded over the bucket to make a slit. They drop through the slit into the water. No splash. The bucket is on the floor and the towel cushions the fall. Works fine.

Edited by 98sr20ve

I REALLY think you should try as-cast bullets and tumble-lube first before sizing your bullets. Sizing does not make a more accurate bullet.

The only reason I would run my Lubrisizer, which I haven't since maybe 1982?, would be to use a lube like Carnaube Red of BAC from White Label. Even then, I always used a sizing die the same diameter as the cast bullet or 0.001" larger.

As-cast always was as accurate or more accurate than the bullets I sized down on the LubriSizer.

Just recommend starting simply and complicate things as and if you need to.

I hate tumble lube. It's a pain to try the bullets, its a pain to load sticky bullets, I cringe when I drop them on the ground and pick them up and they have crap stuck all over them. I know that stuff is going down the barrel next time I shoot them.