Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IMR SR 7625 - 9 Major load for STI Matchmaster

NogNog

Folks,

First of all I am aware of the erratic pressure spikes of this powder.

I have a few working loads using other powder brands for this gun. However, I have a close to 4-lbs of SR 7625 that is sitting in my shelf. I have used this powder in my 38 SC open gun, but I want to try it for 9-major.

As the title said, I need the load data from STI Matchmaster shooters in here.

The gun has a 4.25-inch tru-bor barrel with T2 comp.

I have downloaded the 9-major loads from here (BEnos.com). However, the 7625 9-major data were for 4.25 Bar-sto bbl & 4.5-inch AET bbl while I am using a 4.25-inch. trubor bbl.

Could any of you guys share a starting load for the above powder?

If I were you. I'd take the data from a Barsto barrel and knock 10% off it and start from there.

I would load 10 rds at that #.

I'd load 10 rds at + 0.2gr increments until I got to that original # and then I'd load 5 more at the original # + 0.1 gr.

I'd shoot all 10 over a chrono at a 25 yd target off of sandbags or a rest of some sort for group.

Watch for pressure signs, look to see when it makes major & how they group.

My 9 major load is 7.3gr 7625 with a 124gr MG JHP or CMJ, but I have a 5.4" barrel. You'll probably need a bit more to make major with the Matchmaster's short barrel. In fact there may not be enough room in the case, 7.3gr is already pretty full.

Also I've noticed a good bit of variation between lots of 7625...

I am getting rid of my last pound of 7625 right now. And it will be my last pound. I am loading 7.0 grains @ 1.165 with a 124 grm PD JHP. In my full size trubor with t-2 comp I get 165 PF with it. There is very little room in the case. I use 7.1 grains of autocomp and get 170 pf with alot of room in the case left.