Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X-5 All Around Won another match

jcc7x7

I've been shooting one of these now for 3 weeks. Missed last weeks match so only shot in 2 match and have won both. Not bragging on me but the gun cause its so easy to hit with. Even the first shot double action. I've put a SRT in it and polished all the internals. Still have a little drag on it in DA so gonna tear it down again and repolish some of the areas.

I've not had any problems with the extractor but havn't put alot of rounds throough it yet either.

Seems to shot anything well. Using WSF and hornady 125 RN and HAP bullets at this pointed loaded to 138 PF. Still waiting on holster, using an old leather 226 holster with an open bottom.

Appreciate any comments on your X-5 and how its working out for you

thanks

jcc7x7

I've had my X-5 All Round for a few months. It came with a very weak recoil spring which I changed out first to a Gray Guns pink spring and then to a standard 9mm Sig P226 orange spring. Latest is a variable rate Wolff 12 lb. The stock spring was too weak for a new stiff gun. I may go back to it now that I have a couple of thousand rounds down range.

I am trying to get the weight down to 43 oz for IDPA. I've taken some material off the dust cover, but not enough. I've added the P226 plastic mag well grips and made some magazine extensions out of toilet seat bumpers. I've also added a longer mag release. This will eventually be a legal IDPA ESP gun. I've shortened the beavertail enough for the gun to fit easily in to the IDPA box.

My gun had a trigger bar that was polished too much from the factory and it had a hammer stroke in double action mode that was too short and resulted in light strikes with a 18 lb hammer spring. I can use a 17 in my standard P226 without problems. A week ago I replaced the original polished X-5 trigger bar with a stock P226 bar. I had to trim the rear of the stock P226 trigger bar to clear the X-5 frame. Other than that, it works perfectly and restored the hammer stroke to one exactly like the standard P226. Now I am able to use the same hammer spring in the X-5 as in the P226.

The accuracy is outstanding with nearly any factory ammo. This to me is the main advantage to the X-5. Longer sight radius helps and the longer barrel helps, and I like the extra weight. But the real difference has to be the tighter barrel tolerances. Federal ammo doesn't shoot well in my P226, but shoots fine in the X-5. Remington UMC FMJ shoots fine in both guns, but the X-5 groups are always tighter than the P226. I have a Bar-Sto barrel coming for my P226 that I hope will make its accuracy a little closer to the X-5. Today I was able to shoot 3" groups at 25 yards standing with the X-5 and Remington UMC ammo. The P226 would have been 6" with the same ammo and 12" with the Federal.

So, what I am doing now is experimenting with recoil springs now that the gun is broken in, reducing the weight, and, hopefully, shooting the gun successfully in IDPA in place of my 100% reliable P226.

Joe

Edited by Joe L

Joe

I've been thinking about how to cut the weight down and still keep it legal. i.e. cut a tac rail into etc. How are you doing with the weight reduction? Mine weighs 45 ozs. with mag and the rules say 39 ozs. Seems like alot of weight to shed w/o making it noticable.

I'm working on getting my trigger stroke lighter with 100 primer ignition. ITs a fine line with these SIG's in genral. I'm a SIG armourer and general pistol smith with lots of IDPA and USPSA guys in the area. Most are shooting poly guns so the REAL light trigger work is still a work in progress on the SIGS. I keep exparimenting on my gun and then the guys that shoot SIGS bring them in for the work. LOL. Dont blame them!!!!

See your from Midland I've got a business office out on SCR 1200 in Midland.

Misplaced Texan LOL

jcc7x7

IDPA ESP limit is 43 oz so we only have to loose 2. I've milled off some of the dust cover but not enough yet. Gray Guns has been able to get the weight down and offers a package to do so but I'm not giving up yet on doing it myself.

I need to polish up my replacement trigger bar some next, but the DA stroke is pretty good for now. My Bar-Sto 9mm conversion barrel for my standard 226 should be in on Friday, will shoot it this weekend after I fit it on Saturday and install the Dawson Precision FO front sight on the 40 slide.

Congrats on your recent matches, by the way!

Joe