Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady 68 Grain HPBT

RLi2011

Hi! I need help regarding powder charge for the 68grain Hornady HPBT. I am surprised that this head is a bit longer than the 69 sierra's. The only powder I have is N140, in my country powder is so scarce. I hope someone can help me with the specs. Thanks

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I tried searching but I could not find anything like what you suggested. I am from the Philippines. Its .223/5.56 barrel by Noveske. I know the 68 grainer is little short for the 1-7 twist, but like I said. Its so hard to find good ammo here. Thank you again.

Hi! I need help regarding powder charge for the 68grain Hornady HPBT. I am surprised that this head is a bit longer than the 69 sierra's. The only powder I have is N140, in my country powder is so scarce. I hope someone can help me with the specs. Thanks

Here are some loads I worked up with that bullet (factory seconds from midway) and N140.

First pic is from my Noveske with a 1/7 twist stainless 18 inch barrel

N14068grainhornNoveske.jpg

Second pic is from my 20 inch 1/8 larue.

Larue68grainhornN1408-1-11.jpg

Edited by Alaskapopo

Wonderful! What COL did you use in 24.6 load? I will check my Hornady heads tomorrow, because I am not sure if there is a difference between hornady 68 bthp and 68 hpbt match. I am not sure which one I have. I'm kinda new with rifle reloading issues. Usually I use factory loaded ammo. Not until my friend in the gun club invited me to play rifle with him. I am more of hand gun. But I see why he is so into it. Its fun! Thank you for your information.

Wonderful! What COL did you use in 24.6 load? I will check my Hornady heads tomorrow, because I am not sure if there is a difference between hornady 68 bthp and 68 hpbt match. I am not sure which one I have. I'm kinda new with rifle reloading issues. Usually I use factory loaded ammo. Not until my friend in the gun club invited me to play rifle with him. I am more of hand gun. But I see why he is so into it. Its fun! Thank you for your information.

Those bullets had a cannular so I seated to that level and did not measure them. But if I had to guess 2.250.

Pat

With Varget, or TAC, I get sub 1" groups at 200 yards out of both of my rifles. One has a 1-8 twist, and the other has a 1-9 twist. :cheers:

That is some great shooting. 5 shot groups or 3shot. Is 1 inch your best ever or what you can consistenly count on. .5 moa is very very good from these type of guns.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Those bullets had a cannular so I seated to that level and did not measure them. But if I had to guess 2.250.

Pat

Okay Sir. Thank you for your information. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Hornady manual lists VIHT N-140 for the 68 grainers. I am ASSUMING you are talking 5.56 in caliber.

2500 fps - 22.4 gr

2600 fps - 23.3 gr

2700 fps - 24.2 gr

2800 fps - 25.1 gr MAX

COL - 2.250"

What country by the way?

I tried loading 23.5 and 24. The 24 grouped better at 100 meters. I am just using a 10.5 Noveske 1-7 twist barrel with an Aimpoint T1 optic. Hard to aim at that distance. Its a 68 grain Hornady BTHP. I don't know if I should go higher than 24. The bullet total height that I set was 57.15mm. Or 2.250 inches.

With Varget, or TAC, I get sub 1" groups at 200 yards out of both of my rifles. One has a 1-8 twist, and the other has a 1-9 twist. :cheers:

That is some great shooting. 5 shot groups or 3shot. Is 1 inch your best ever or what you can consistenly count on. .5 moa is very very good from these type of guns.

Pat

Thanks! The trigger pull on an AR does make shooting accurate groups a lot more difficult than a nice, bolt gun trigger.

5 shot groups.

They are usually around 3/4", but, I know I can count on them being under an inch.

I don't ever remember seeing a cannular on any of the Hornady 68 grains that I've loaded. :surprise:

Pat

Thanks! The trigger pull on an AR does make shooting accurate groups a lot more difficult than a nice, bolt gun trigger.

5 shot groups.

They are usually around 3/4", but, I know I can count on them being under an inch.

I don't ever remember seeing a cannular on any of the Hornady 68 grains that I've loaded. :surprise:

Hornaday makes them with and without the cannular. I got them as factory seconds from Midway. They shoot pretty good.

Pat