Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New UPS System

Rob Boudrie

UPS has a new system "UPS My Choice". While it has some pay services, what I like is the FREE service. I signed up and just got my first notification a package is arriving Friday. Once you register, you get an email whenever there is a package addressed to you at your address on the way telling you when to expect it. This works for any package shipped to you via UPS; not just ones you expect.

UPS has a new system "UPS My Choice". While it has some pay services, what I like is the FREE service. I signed up and just got my first notification a package is arriving Friday. Once you register, you get an email whenever there is a package addressed to you at your address on the way telling you when to expect it. This works for any package shipped to you via UPS; not just ones you expect.

Looks like a great service. Just signed up. But I was surprised at some of the confirmation questions. While my local driver certainly knows who my brother and wife are, how does UPS know when my brother's and wife's birthdays are? How do they know what street I lived on in 1986?

FWIW, we have an outstanding driver.If he sees my vehicle somewhere other than my house or office, he'll pull over to ask if I want my packages there or at the office. He has my cell phone number and will call if he has an overnight or unusually large package to be sure I know it's coming. Hard to beat that kind of service.

Looks like a great service. Just signed up. But I was surprised at some of the confirmation questions. While my local driver certainly knows who my brother and wife are, how does UPS know when my brother's and wife's birthdays are? How do they know what street I lived on in 1986?

All this sort of info is in publicly accessible databases (though often ones for which you pay a fee). The technique is a fairly common to confirm identity, and is frequently used by banking and brokerage houses to confirm the identity of someone opening an account on-line.

Previous addresses would show up in a credit report, however, I am not sure that use of an on-line system like UPS meets the "consent from customer" requirement for a business to run a check, or if a lookup of such info by UPS would be considered a hard of soft inquiry (Hard inquiries downgrade your score; soft inquiries do not)

Previous addresses would show up in a credit report, however, I am not sure that use of an on-line system like UPS meets the "consent from customer" requirement for a business to run a check, or if a lookup of such info by UPS would be considered a hard of soft inquiry (Hard inquiries downgrade your score; soft inquiries do not)

I get that previous addresses from the past 7 (or even 10) years would show up, but 25+ years worth of previous addresses?

BB